Z Bass J-104 w/ oil finish complete

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by godoze, Jul 30, 2004.

1. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Well, here is a jazz bass i made for someone. I used the Danish oil recipe that was talked about in another thread. It turned out well. Very easy to work with -much easier than tung oil IMO

Walnut body
    Figured walnut top

Goncalo neck
    unlined Gabbon fb
    Reverse headstock

Nordstrand humbucking J
    Smith BT pre

schaller hardware
  2. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    here ya go..

I'd appreciate comments.
  3. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The figure on the top is a little tough to see in the lighting... Back looks great in those shots. I think you picked some great woods to go together.

It's funny, because a couple of folks have done some oiled walnut finishes w/ pics lately. You guys are making me waffling on my trans blue, black korina!
  4. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I did the same finish on my all mahogany body bass, and I noticed that the pics didn't show the true "satin" ish quality the Danish oil provides. Looks 'much better in person' than in the pics, despite that over-used and abused phrase.

That's a very dark-looking bass from the pics, but I assume it looks much better in person.
  5. Nice Job Don, I love dark theme basses

How's the weight from that neck?

What's it sound like?

Can you shed any light on the request for a reverse headstock? Jimi wannabe? or just eccentricity? :D

You gonna make more? ;)
  6. rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Did you cut out the body and neck yourself or order it? That control cavity is very well done.
  7. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i used templates to route the cc. make more ? I suppose if i get any more requests I would consider it.
  8. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    the rh was a request...jimi thing i think
  9. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Dig the reverse headstock, I wish more J builders did that.