Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Z Bass J-104 w/ oil finish complete

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by godoze, Jul 30, 2004.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Well, here is a jazz bass i made for someone. I used the Danish oil recipe that was talked about in another thread. It turned out well. Very easy to work with -much easier than tung oil IMO

Walnut body
    Figured walnut top

Goncalo neck
    unlined Gabbon fb
    Reverse headstock

Nordstrand humbucking J
    Smith BT pre

schaller hardware

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    here ya go..

I'd appreciate comments.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The figure on the top is a little tough to see in the lighting... Back looks great in those shots. I think you picked some great woods to go together.

It's funny, because a couple of folks have done some oiled walnut finishes w/ pics lately. You guys are making me waffling on my trans blue, black korina!

4. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I did the same finish on my all mahogany body bass, and I noticed that the pics didn't show the true "satin" ish quality the Danish oil provides. Looks 'much better in person' than in the pics, despite that over-used and abused phrase.

That's a very dark-looking bass from the pics, but I assume it looks much better in person.

5. Nice Job Don, I love dark theme basses

How's the weight from that neck?

What's it sound like?

Can you shed any light on the request for a reverse headstock? Jimi wannabe? or just eccentricity? :D

You gonna make more? ;)

6. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Did you cut out the body and neck yourself or order it? That control cavity is very well done.

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i used templates to route the cc. make more ? I suppose if i get any more requests I would consider it.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    the rh was a request...jimi thing i think

9. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Dig the reverse headstock, I wish more J builders did that.