1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Z-Vex Double Rock

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Toasted, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    [​IMG]

It's a custom, one-off pedal for J. Mascis.

It's two boxes of rock in one bigger box, with no boosts, in series. Apparently you can get the same sound with two boxes of rock.

Pretty sweet. Also catering to my dual pedal fetish.

2. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Very cool! It's hard to beat the Box of Rock for pickstyle rock if a Marshall-ish tone suits you, and sounds good with all the amps I've tried it with... Still looking for a suitable TS-808 clone that will suffice and replace my Box of Rock... no luck yet.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I've not used the BOR on bass but it sounds GREAT into an AC15/AC30 on guitar.

4. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Man, I love Zack's work. Thats pretty cool :)

5. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    One of my friends who has my old AC-15 and an AC-30 loves the Box of Rock on those amps, said it's probably the first pedal he's had he could leave on all the time. Of course they can be very bright and chimey, and the tone knob on the Box of Rock gives some versatility. He has a lot of problems with other pedals always being a bit bright on those amps. He also really liked my Frantone Lo Tone on his AC-30 with guitar, though I can't say I liked the way that sounded when I tried it on guitar with a Fender amp.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Your friend with an AC30 needs to try a Super Hard On or a Super Duper 2 in 1. Some of my favourite ever lead / heavy crunch tones there - from one of the cleanest most jingly-jangly amps ever made.

7. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah, I'll recommend that to him. I did sell him an HBE Germania though, and that of course is instant Brian May. I did try the boost on the Box of Rock though (which is based on the Super Hard On) through my AC-15 and that was my favorite distortion sound I got out of it.