1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Z. Vex SHO?

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Flatwound, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Hey Watt, I read in Bass Player mag. that you use this pedal. What does it do for you? I've been thinking of getting one of these, or maybe a Fulltone Fat-Boost. I'm not looking for distortion per se, just a fatter sound with good definition.

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

g,

j masics had me using that w/the fog. I used it as a boost for solos. I like the fulltone better and was using that instead towards the end of the tour. as for an all around thing for your sound in general, I don't know - I didn't use it for that. I think a lot of fatness comes out of the hands and the way you work your machine.

as far as devices helping out w/the fat and definition thing, a compressor (a good one) used sparingly can really help there.

on bass, watt

3. Flatwound

Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yeah, a compressor has helped me a lot. By holding down the peaks, I can keep my overall volume louder without overpowering everybody. I'm slowly starting to understand compression.

I guess I'll probably try a Sansamp. Everybody says they're the greatest thing since the Fender bass. I'm looking for a sound somewhere between John Deacon and Mars, with maybe a little Felix Pappalardi thrown in.

4. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

alright, mister pappalardi! great bassist. remember, a lot comes from the hands - it's not all machinery. you still want your playing to be distinctive and not too covered up or masked by a device everyone else is using - unless you find a way to make it sound like you! what I'm trying to say is gadgets are only a means and not an end. the way you compose your parts has a lot to do w/how they "sound" in the tune too.

on bass, watt