Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Z. Vex SHO?

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Flatwound, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Hey Watt, I read in Bass Player mag. that you use this pedal. What does it do for you? I've been thinking of getting one of these, or maybe a Fulltone Fat-Boost. I'm not looking for distortion per se, just a fatter sound with good definition.

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

g,

j masics had me using that w/the fog. I used it as a boost for solos. I like the fulltone better and was using that instead towards the end of the tour. as for an all around thing for your sound in general, I don't know - I didn't use it for that. I think a lot of fatness comes out of the hands and the way you work your machine.

as far as devices helping out w/the fat and definition thing, a compressor (a good one) used sparingly can really help there.

on bass, watt

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yeah, a compressor has helped me a lot. By holding down the peaks, I can keep my overall volume louder without overpowering everybody. I'm slowly starting to understand compression.

I guess I'll probably try a Sansamp. Everybody says they're the greatest thing since the Fender bass. I'm looking for a sound somewhere between John Deacon and Mars, with maybe a little Felix Pappalardi thrown in.

4. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

alright, mister pappalardi! great bassist. remember, a lot comes from the hands - it's not all machinery. you still want your playing to be distinctive and not too covered up or masked by a device everyone else is using - unless you find a way to make it sound like you! what I'm trying to say is gadgets are only a means and not an end. the way you compose your parts has a lot to do w/how they "sound" in the tune too.

on bass, watt