1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Z.Vex Woolly Mammoth Vexter Questions?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassist96, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Bassist96

Bassist96

Jan 13, 2013
    Australia
    Hey Guys of bass land

Im in the market for a new fuzz at the moment, Yay! looking for a new sound.
    I Discovered a Zvex vexter series woolly mammoth a shop today and i had a few questions about it

1. how does it compare to the hand painted version? is it just cosmetics?
    2. Does it cut through a band mix well?
    3. Does it have issues when being used with active basses?
    4. How does it compare to the Darkglass Electronics Duality (my other consideration)

please help bass friends

2. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    Hi bass friend :)

1) the guts of the Vexter WM are identical to the hand painted one. The only difference between them besides the paint is the warrantee; Zvex hand painted pedals have a lifetime warrantee (except on the paint! Lol.)

2) it cuts through a mix. Caveat being that some mixes are particularly hard to cut through, that's not the Woolly Mammoth's fault.

3) active basses kill the tone of a WM. Any buffer in front of a WM will make your WM sound anemic. So not just active basses, but you can't have it after a pedal with buffered bypass or behind any pedal that is engaged. Unless you do like me, I have a buffer buster circuit in front of mine, lets me put it anywhere and use it with anything, but that's an extra cost.

A Vexter Mastotron does work with active signals, costs less than a Woolly Mammoth, and is almost the same circuit. It does sound a little different, and has slightly different controls. I prefer the sound of the Woolly Mammoth, though. Other people might disagree.

4) i can't help much on comparing to the Duality. On paper it is a more versatile circuit, with two fuzz circuits and the option to blend between them. It has no problem with buffered signals or active basses. When it comes to the sound I can't help. Fuzz is personal and connected to the player. If you can, you should buy many fuzzes in your lifetime and start down the path of fuzz-self-discovery.

Driven Crane and Tourniquet Man like this.
  3. Bassist96

Bassist96

Jan 13, 2013
    Australia
    cheers!

4. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014

I believe it's Mammoth on bass.

5. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    What's your buffer buster circuit?

Dark Barn likes this.
  6. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    I bought the one that @johnk_10 makes. Has served me well!

Driven Crane likes this.
  7. 1. Exactly the same, the WM doesn't contain any "mojo" or hard to find parts
    2. It can, really just depends on your band.
    3. Yep, it doesn't work well at all with active basses
    4. I had them at the same time and like the WM much more. The Duality can do a few sounds but none of them are all that great IMO. I'd rather have a dedicated gated fuzz and brassmaster than a combo. If you do like the idea of a combo pedal I'd recommend the IE Oxide. It is pretty much just a better version of the Duality.

Driven Crane likes this.
  8. Rumbledore

Rumbledore Banned

Jun 2, 2018
    peninsula
    1 vote for the fat fuzz factory they make