Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

z. vex wooly mammoth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Aug 19, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    anyone use it. i hear its mean. but does ti give a good distortion. im not much for fuzz, although it is a fuxx box. if anyoen has any info let me know.

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I would definitely put it in the extreme distortion category. I personally don't like the sound, but you may find it works for you.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i myself am a big distortion fan. i like a nice subtle overdrive. like i suppose a monty colvin overdrive. but i really enjoy those justin chancellor and billy gould balls out distortions...thats kind of what i was looking for.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, subtle overdrive is not what this thing does.

guess I'd suggest the usual suspects - fulltone bassdrive, dredgetone angler, bjf blueberry od, ebs multidrive etc. All good pedals, one that worked best for me was the fulltone bassdrive.

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Tried one at Rudy's(NYC) with an MTD635 & it sounded like total S**T through a Berg 6x10...

Maybe they're not geared towards active electronics, but, for their asking price, there are a lot of other choices out there...

~S~

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Basstriaxis uses one, I believe... hopefully he'll be along soon to give his take on it. From what I understand, all of Zachary Vex's effects are a bit outside what is usually considered the "norm" for effects.

7. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Tried one and hated it. Based on the description of you need/likes, I don't think this pedal is what you're looking for.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Here I am! Sorry, I just moved to San Francisco and haven't been around too much.

The Wooly is most definitely a FUZZ, not a distortion or overdrive. It doesn't seem to work well with some active basses, but it works great with my Aguilar equpped Steiberger. I really like it with a good old passive P-Bass. It's really edgy, and with some active basses it completely squashes any dynamics. At certain settings it can get downright synthy. Alot of people don't like it; it's a funky pedal. I love mine, but it's not the be all end all pedal.

I'm currently really digging the Mesa V-Twin, which will cover alot of overdrive/distortion tones you are talking about.

9. lowendgrumble

lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    Does the wooly mammoth have the abilities to act in a more subtle manner? Can it produce a more chill fuzz tone too?? Or is it balls out all the time, no matter how you set it?

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    With the right bass, it can do some chill fuzz. With a P-Bass it can almost sound like an overdrive, ala Clutch. They've got some song doing some "Jesus on the dashboard" thing that the Wooly does just right.

I can get some tamer sounds out of it with a light touch, but I have a pretty high output bass. The only way to tell is to try it. Then try it again. Most people hate it at first, because fuzz isn't what their ears are used to hearing. It took me a long time to dial in a tone I liked; it's not an instant gratification device.

11. silenttodd

silenttodd Guest

Jul 2, 2007
    ya this is an old thread wanted to get my 2 cents in ....

this is a LOUD obnoxious pedal for fuzz mania! its not meant to be subtle. its also not meant for active basses it says that on the directions and site i believe. sounds like a$$ through a solid state amp. through my orange ad200 w/ 410 cab with fender mustang bass it sounds like fuzz bliss. paid over 500 cdn for it. id buy another if it could! well worth the money if ur into the noise thing/ sound. if ur into subtle try the box of rock. it can be.. my final thought is BUY IT BUY IT BuY IT!!
    *zvex ARE gonna be the "collector" pedals in 20 years! buy em save em buy more!! thanks zvex for opening my eyes to true tone.

12. That's so weird, I tried one at Rudy's too and hated it. The strange thing is I have loved most of the clips I've heard.

13. Akeris

Akeris

Jul 23, 2006
    New Jersey
    :rolleyes:

14. Jackporkchop

Jackporkchop

Jan 12, 2009
    My experience with bass and guitar was that it made the guitar sound like a bass and made the bass sound like an okay fuzz. It seemed like the guitar had more low end. I found that the mammoth had some low end loss compared to the bass's clean signal. Didn't sound like $300 to me. I would recommend trying cheaper bass fuzzes before resorting to the Mammoth.
    It's cool for Black Keys style bands that have no bassist.

15. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Is today dig up an old thread day?

I don't have a problem with someone using a search and bumping a thread that answers their specific question, but there have been plenty of threads about the Wooly Mammoth and whether or not to use a compressor without digging up 6 and 9 year old threads respectively.

:rollno: