Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society - James Lomenzo

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nismaniac, Apr 24, 2005.

1. nismaniac

nismaniac

Feb 21, 2005
    OKC, OK
    Let me just say Wow!! I have seen Black Label before, but this is the tightest line up yet. I have long been a fan of James Lomenzo, starting when I heard his work with Zakk on the "Pride & Glory" album. They were just awesome. James was playing his Warwick Buzzard Basses through his Ashdown rig. That bass was just deadly, deeper than anything, and balls to spare. If they are coming through your town, do yourself a favor and check out the show. Get the new album "Mafia" as well, it is great.

2. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    He has some serious chops, I listened to a friends copy of Pride and Glory last night coming back from a concert and Everloving Woman came on.

I hadn't heard the real version of the song and was just blown away at how he carried the song on his back. One of my guitarists at an open jam night told me to just play a basic root note pattern the whole song. After hearing the real version I feel so ashamed for playing just the roots :(

He's quickly becoming one of my favorite bassists. He was in David Lee Roth's band, White Lion and some other projects if you want to hear more from him.

Really good stuff to listen to.

3. nismaniac

nismaniac

Feb 21, 2005
    OKC, OK

I think that your guitarist didn't want you to overshadow him with that cool bassline. :)

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Sure it wasn't a Status? When they came to FL just the other Friday, he had a status, ashdown cabs (mostly 810s), and I couldn't see the rack too well. He was awesome though... I got to touch his bass :p.

Ray

5. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    who could not like this guy?

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I grew up around James and I gotta say he is definitely the sh*t. He's a really cool dude, has gone out of his way to try and hook me up with some really great high profile gigs (that unfortunately never wound up happening... yet), and he's an amazing player/performer. He's got a CD with the Hideous Sun Demons (his DLR band) where he really cuts loose. It's all instrumental.

Interesting note for me - the first band that ever influenced me was a band my brother was in called Sir Donicus (I think). They used to rehearse in James's basement. The guitarist/singer of the band, and other long time friend of my brother's was Steve Augeri, the guy who is now the lead singer in Journey. They eventually wound up rehearsing in my parent's basement and I'd sneak down in the middle of the night and mess around with their guitars and basses. They were off limits, and magical at the same time. Interesting how much magic must have really been in them as 2 of those guys went on to play in bands that they grew up idolizing.

I feel like the above is lame name dropping kind of stuff, but whatever. They're both 2 of the nicest guys I know and I'm happy they've been a part of my musical history.

Now if I really want to name drop I'll tell that Pete Steele's DB is leaning against the wall in my bedroom. Which it is. :D

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...how'ds Petes bass get there?

~S~

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    he lent it to me.

9. nismaniac

nismaniac

Feb 21, 2005
    OKC, OK

That is so cool that you know James. I really respect him, he is so talented and seems very down to earth and just happy to be playing. I'm so glad he teamed back up with Zakk, they have great chemistry. One listen to the Pride & Glory album proves that.

By the way, name drop all you want, I wish I knew people like that. As a musician, it never hurts to have friends in high places. :bassist:

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...???...

~S~

11. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Pete Steele bought my friend and I cigarettes back when we were in high school.

12. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...yeah...right...

~S~

PS: Unless you had a hot sister...

13. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
  14. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have a live version of "All You Need is Rock n' Roll" on my Best of White Lion CD. He plays some killer stuff!!!!!

15. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    James is an awesome player...serious chops.

Any doubt after listening to the P&G album...definately check out the Hideous Sun Demons....he kills it.

Very gracious, down to earth guy on top of that...

...and he plays the Buzzard!

16. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    Anyone who doubts the awesomeness of James Lomenzo just needs to listen to In This River.

I thought he left Black Label Society for Megadeth, though.

17. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    He has....he's finishing up the new Megadeth album in England at this time.

As far as "awesomeness"...if you go doubt the man's ability after hearing anything off the HSD's album, check out his lines during the solo break during "Horse Called War" on the P&G album....

Also during the solo break on "Too Tough To Die" off the Mafia album.....

The man is def a force!!

18. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    +1
    i think he's with Megadeth now!