Zapp, Bootsie Collins, Funkadelic sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GBPlayer, Jun 6, 2003.

1. GBPlayer

Jun 6, 2003
    I would like to re-create the sounds alot of funk have. Is there a way to do that on the bass. If so, how?
  2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Mutrons and Big Muffs - i.e. envelope filters and fuzz pedals. Sit a bit behind the beat, and get all greasy and slippery. Set up the one big style and really lay into it.

3. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Akai Deep Impact..........

and put a lemon in your mouth when you you make the sour face all the time

but seriously the deep impact gets those synth sounds like it aint no thang.
  4. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    Hi, I'm a big Bootsy fan!
    I use a QTron, an EBS Octabass and a distortion ( RAT or SansAmp) and get pretty close to Bootsy's sound.

you want a Mutron or QTron for sure :)
  5. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    To my mind 'recreate' generally means using the gear the people did at the time, but I guess some people will see any envelope-filter related thread as a chance for Pigtronix-spam.... :rolleyes: .....

6. If you can find a Deep Impact is is the 1 pedal that can nail all those sounds. Bootsy, Bernie Worrell and the other Parliment/Funkadelic bassists used Mutron III envelope followers, Electro Harmonix Bass Balls, Dr. Q and a PolyPhase here and there. Zapp almost all the bass lines are played on a keyboard most likely a Mini Moog. If you are into all of those funky analog synth bass lines check out an Electro Harmonix Bass MicroSynth.