Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zappa albums??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Lovebown, Mar 30, 2001.

1. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    I'm gonne check out some Frank Zappa stuff.. I noticed he had made like 20+ records..
    anyone have any recomendations?

thx
    /lovebown

2. Er, um - more like 60+ at the last count.

For the beginner:

Strictly Commercial
    Tinseltown Rebellion
    Have I Offended Somebody?

For the shredder-wannabees:

Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar
    Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar some More
    Return Of The Son Of Shut Up'n Play Yer Guitar

For the Jazz-Inclined:

Hot Rats (this was one of FZ'z most successful early albums)

My favourites (include):

You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore (Vols. 1-6)

oh hell... - here, try this:

http://catalog.com/mrm/zappa/html/numbering.html

Welcome to The Wonderful World of FZ, and Good Luck! ;>

- Wil

3. Actually it was closer to 100 albums, so there is lots out there. If you want the more poular cd's:
    Sheik Yerbouti.
    Zoot Allures.
    Overnight Sensation.
    Apostrophe'.

However, he had albums that covered so many different styles.... As much as FZ said he found jazz stagnant or dying, he released several excellent jazz albums. His "Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar" series (3 albums) has some of the most obtuse, yet tasteful and furocious guitar work you might ever hear.

You also have a dozen + different lineups to choose from. Frank had many of the best rock, jazz, blues, classical, and offbeat artists appear on his albums and tours. Steve Vai, Terry Bozio, Adrian Belew, Patrick O'Hearn, Jean-Luc Ponty, and a hundred others....

My favorites:
    Live in New York.
    Sheik Yerbouti.
    Make a Jazz Noise Here.
    Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar.
    Joe's Garage. (how could I forget this one?)
    Hot Rats.

And I could probably list 20 more..
    Enjoy.

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    So ah... Willie...

You a Zappa fan?

:D

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Anything anyone has mentioned so far is worth a listen, IMO, since there really isn't any "essential" Zappa/Mothers confined to an album or two. The msuic is just too challenging and "out there." Plus, as you can see, he was so prolific.

Freak Out, Jazz From Hell, Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Apostrophe, Absolutely Free, Best Band You Never Heard, Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar, hell, there's just so much.

Maybe you could just go to www.cdnow.com and listen to album samples there and see what grabs you.

One I don't recommend is "200 Motels." It's a movie soundtrack and as such, a lot of the music doesn't make any sense if you don't have the visuals to go with it. (I've seen the movie 14 times, and some of it still doesn't make sense to me. But that's Zappa).

6. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    One Size Fits All.

With George Duke, Napolean Murphy Brock, the Fowler brothers and a killer tune like Inca Roads...fer my money, ya can't beat it. The tastiest of Zappa's jazz rock studio discs, served up on a shiny chrome dinette.

7. I don't care what album(s) you get because they are all great. What ever you do make sure you get to hear "Billy and the mountain."

8. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Thanks , everyone. I'll be checkin out the records you guys mentioned at the record store tommorow.

/lovebown

9. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    my favorites are "We're Only In It For the Money", "Absolutely Free", and "One Size Fits All".

10. man, I love Zappa!! :D

I don´t know what are the best cd´s, but "Strictly Commercial" is great! also most others.... :D

if only I had the money... I´d buy all his cd´s.... :)

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the "you can do that on stage anymore" sets are really great collections of his work. i especially like vol's 1 and 3, 2 is cool also (the helsinki concert).

i also like one size fits all - inca roads is an incredible song, with a cool story behind it - it was recorded in 2 parts, one live the other studio, on 2 different occasions, seperated by months. they fit together seamlessly, long before digital editing. frank's bands always kicked a$$.

so many fabulous musicians got their start working with frank, it's really incredible. the zappa alumnus and alumnae roster reads almost like a who's who of music.

12. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Gotta weigh in with my faves on this one:

Joe's Garage
    Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life
    Sheik Yerbouti
    Baby Snakes (movie) The claymation gets a little tiresome, but the live sequences from the 70's band with Bozzio, O'Hearn, Belew, etc. are classic!

13. I just cant pick a favorite album, but I can pick a favorite album cover:

Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch
    [​IMG]

:D

14. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Oh yeah...Zoot Allures is a good one too! This is the dreaded "subject with no end"...

15. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    "The Grand Wazoo" is also excellent. "Freak Out" is essential because it's the first Mothers album and "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" is another classic with a fabulous cover. "The Real Frank Zappa Book" written by FZ and Peter Ochiogrosso made me laugh to the point of tears on countless occasions and was one of those books that really warped my mind (all for the better) when I read it as a teenager.
    "200 Motels" is nonsensical, abrasive, filthy, deliberately obtuse, and filled with inside jokes--in other words, quintessential Zappa. I've probably seen it 25 times and still find it brilliant and boring, profound but puerile. Some of Zappa's lyrics throughout the years are great but many of them annoy the hell out of me. Most of the time I like Zappa best when it's just the music. I'm sure he'll be regarded as one of the 20th century's greatest composers, up there with Igor Stravinsky and Duke Ellington.

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i totally concur.

17. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Perhaps is much easier to say what albums are not interesting to me. I own all of Zappa official releases (thru Rykodisc) except the compilations produced after his death and these:

- Cruising with Ruben & the Jets.
    - Fillmore East, June 1.971.
    - Tinseltown rebellion.
    - Baby snakes.
    - Thing fish.
    - Francesco Zappa.
    - Playground psychotics.
    - Ahead of their time.

There are 54 official titles produced by Zappa himself. He was a great composer and a tasteful (and accomplished) guitarist. VIVA ZAPPA! :)

18. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    I'm listening to strictly commercial right now... I understand this is his most not-so-weird stuff.. but I'm enjoying it a lot anyways. Hell, even if the music isnt always making sense the lyrics are damn fun :oops:

/lovebown

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Great topic for the "Recordings" Forum.

Will C.:cool: