Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zappa Fans - Is this you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DigMe, Apr 7, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    From The Onion:

Frank Zappa Fan Thinks You Just Haven't Heard The Right Album

NEDERLAND, CO—In spite of your insistence that you are not into Frank Zappa, avid fan Roger Von Lee believes that you would change your mind if you heard the right album. "You're prejudiced, because the only Zappa you know is 'Valley Girl' and 'Don't Eat The Yellow Snow,'" Von Lee told you Tuesday. "Seriously, you need to check out Hot Rats or Absolutely Free. Zappa and the Mothers were at their peak, and Zappa's jazz-rock fusion experiments predate Bitches Brew. That'll totally convince you that Zappa's the ****." Von Lee added that if those two don't get under your skin, he can recommend another 15 to 20 albums that will for sure.

:D

I'm actually a Zappa fan too...I can totally relate.

brad cook

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Heehee...

In the words of a real turd of a dorm mate I had in college...

"Sardines in her eyebrows? Lobsters up and down her forehead? This... this is not MUSIC!!!"

Gotta love it.

:cool: :)

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I had to go to the top of the page to remember what this thread was about. :confused:

Zappa.....yeah, he's cool.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    With so many albums to choose from(90+) who has heard the right album? :p

5. 2 down 88+ to go.

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I work with a guy that's a HUGE Zappa fan. He told me to check out an album called "Burnt Weeny Sandwich", and says that if that doesn't make me like Zappa, then probably nothing wil.

That same day, he put on a Zappa tape of which the title is something I forget, but it had a song on it about a mechanical dog that had recently undergone modifications that was pondering it's owner's garlic-odored breath. That was a fun song.

7. At this exact moment, I am listening to Waka/Jawaka...you'll love it...it's a way of life...

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah! That's a great one!

brad cook

9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Hot Rats is an excellent record. Original poster is
    absolutely correct about that.

I tend to like the post Beefheart period, myself.
    [ Trivia: FZ and Cap'n Beefheart attended HS together
    in LA. ]

I love 'The Best Band You Never Heard'. His compiliation
    'Guitar' is amazing, as well.

My son, the zappahead, now is into 60+ CD's in his
    collection. He plans to own the complete catalog.

And 'Live at the Fillmore' is a good fix when one is
    feeling a bit 'Tipper Gore-ish'. :D
    Don't play that when your Mom is home ... !

10. Flanders

Flanders

Oct 30, 2002
    Reno, NV
    I have about ~60 Zappa Albums (OK, they're CDs). It's not ALL good, but the good stuff more than makes up for the crap. It's funny how all Zappa fans like different periods of his music.

- ...Music is the best.
    ---Frank Zappa

Flanders

11. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000

I love that song. "Evelyn, A Modified Dog"
    I really like the compilation of Zappa songs I have, it was compiled by Larry Lalonde of Primus. Weird, crazy, absolutely brillant songs.

Evelyn the dog having undergone futher modification. Pondered the signifigance of short-person behavior, and peddle-depressed pan-chromatic resonance, and other highly ambient domains...

Arf she said.

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Jeez, that Onion thing must NOT be seen by my girlfriend--I'd never hear the end of it. I just finally got her to admit that "Guitar" wasn't that offensive. A small victory, but I'll take it. Granted, I've taken her to Sonny Rollins, Slayer, and Etta James, so I can't complain...

I guess you could say I was a Zappa fan. I started out liking the 80s stuff, but now I like the older stuff more. At the very least, it can bear more repeat listening. Plus, I was never a big fan of the electronic drums.

SATLTSADW isn't my favorite album, but it is one of my favorite album covers, and I thought it'd be a cool, simple design to have as a tat. And, this thing started many a conversation in bars with the ladies. :D

Noting quite like someone asking, "What's your tattoo?" and answering, "It's a ship arriving too late to save a drowning witch" to break the ice. :ninja:

13. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA

14. Being a huge Motorhead and Danzig fan i find this very funny. It has made my day..thanks SMASH :D