1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zappa on Zappa

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JKT, Sep 15, 2008.

1. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    Caught the PBS fund-raising version of Zappa on Zappa- Dweezils performances of his fathers material.

I have been a fringe Zappa fan all my life, liking some, not having patience for other stuff.

I have to say that I don't remember enjoying this material more. It is certainly IMO some of the most difficult modern music ever written, definitely performed with an immense amount of precision and yet somehow more accessible from an orchestral point of view.

JKT

2. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I haven't seen it, but would love too!

3. OldBluesGuy

OldBluesGuy

Aug 14, 2008
    Enfield, CT
    I've been a huge fan of Frank's music my entire life. I've now seen ZPZ twice and they're nailing Frank's music. Dweezil has put together an awesome group of musicians that would rival most of the bands his father assembled - and they make it look easy. They all have great stage presence, play off and with the audience and keep it fun the entire show. That's a very tall order given the complexity of the music they're playing.

They do a medley of Peaches/Echidna's Arf/G-Spot Tornado and those represent some of Frank's most complex compositions and they flat out nailed those without a break in between. YMMV of course, but I'm in total awe of Dweezil and ZPZ. Well worth the price of the show and then some!

:)

obg

4. I really want to see this before he stops touring. I've missed it twice now.:(