Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zappa's Dub Room Special dvd

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    It was only on vhs and beta before (dear God, remember beta?)...now to dvd - yay
    :bassist:

Previously released on VHS and Beta and only available through mail order, Frank Zappa’s Dub Room Special is an extremely rare TV special comprising two live performances from one of Rock’s great individuals. Zappa’s unparalleled abilities as a composer, guitarist, and absurdist/social commentator run rampant on The Dub Room Special - and it is a unique window on his willingness to push the envelope of what is possible no matter how improbable. Selections from two separate concerts, one, called A Token of His Extreme, shot in 1974 at Los Angeles public television station KCET and one in 1981 filmed at his annual New York Halloween show, are interspersed with then-cutting edge claymation/stop motion animation from Bruce Bickford and assorted comedy bits.

Since 1966, Zappa had established himself as perhaps the most fearless musician known to popular music. He incorporated modern classical music, blazing rock and blues and doo wop, guitar solos he called "air sculpture" and an extremely cynical point of view to forge a legacy that remains completely unique 12 years after his death.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    It will look great next to my Baby Snakes and Does Humor Belong in Music dvd.

Thanks for the tip.

3. Scroller

Scroller

Jul 16, 2005
    Yep. My cherished 80's videotapes are fast becoming worthless. Not that I'm sorry to see them go, those confounded, blocky-bulky plastic, evil black rectangles! Really though, there's some great footage (and sound quality) on this DVD and according to the liner notes, BOTH concerts (one from '74, the other from '81) are planned to be released in their entirety. More Zappa on the way...

4. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland
    I hope they bring it out on a compatable western european region dvd so that we can also view it :)

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    This is good to know. I wish they 'd hurry up and release the Roxy and Elsewhere DVD that's advertised on the Baby Snakes dvd. :hyper: