Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ze Germans!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Abr@hamBassBoy, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Bitte hilf mir! Ich brauche hilfe um mein Deutsch zu verbessern. Ist dieser Satz richtig?
    "Jetzt wohnen wir in einer grosse, undmodernen Wohnung."

mein deutsch ist leider seht kaum und ich brauche deshalb hilfe mit meinen Hausaufgaben...

2. Ok,
    1st You should begin your question with "Bitte helft mir" because your question is addressed to many people
    2nd The sentence should be "Jetzt wohnen wir in einer grossen und modernen Wohnung."
    The "komma" is not necessary

And your last sentence is very, very, very wrong

3. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    almost, but i'm not sure if some of your mistakes aren't typos:

it should be:

"Jetzt wohnen wir in einer großen und modernen Wohnung".

1) no comma before the "und modernen".
    2) "groß" is still written with a "ß" since the 'o' is long (similar to "over" vs. "oven"). (but i'm not sure if you have that character in your font)
    3) you also need the use the correct form of "groß". just like you did for "modern", so "die große und moderne ..." becomes "in einer großen und modernen.

4. zu 2): Ich hasse diese neue deutsche Rechtschreibung, da weiss ich nie ob da ein ß oder ss hingehört

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it!

6. Meine Anglishe freund sagt, "Sagen sie nicht von die krieg." Leben ist schwer ven haben wir keine kartoffel salat. Und weissen wir alles wer die meister von diese salat ist! :D

Forgive my mistakes, it's been a long time.

Mike

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Mr. Potatohead :p :D

8. after taking german for 2 years and being a language oriented kind of guy, I can read a lot of German fairly well, but I can't speak (or write anything) well at all. :cool:

9. ooskalahoo, edder dedder hif haffle. :D

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Mike,
    Erinnern Sie sich an Ihre Substantive zu kapitalisieren. Ansonsten ist Ihr Deutsch schrecklich. ;)

Abr@ham, do you understand WHY you use the suffix?

Simplify your sentence. We live = Wir wohnen.
    Add the preposition IN. Wir wohnen in.

In what? In the object of the proposition IN...Die Wohnung.

How does the preposition change the object's article?
    "in" is one of those that can go either way - since it is stationary (we live in as opposed to we go in) the object is Dative in this case; had it been denoting motion it would have been accusative.

Take the article for Wohnung (die - fem, "ung" usually is) and convert it to dative case - dem, DER, dem, den. die = der. Ein = Einer.
    Wir wohnen in einer Wohnung.
    Now you want to add an adjective to describe the object.

This is a mixed declension. Following an indefinite article "ein(e)", which takes the dative case of the noun - "einer", your adjective takes "-en" on the end. That's always the case for the adjective in a dative prepositional phrase..."-en".

Wir wohnen in einer großen Wohnung.

OK, multiple adjectives, no problem.
    Repeat the "-en" ending.

Wir wohnen in einer großen modernen Wohnung.
    Wir wohnen in einer großen und modernen Wohnung.

The modifier "jetzt" supplants the verb to precede the subject.

Jetzt wohnen wir in einer großen und modernen Wohnung.

It's more important that you understand why, than just have the answer. Tell your teacher you need help with these rules. I'm sure he will appreciate that.

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Wow, Zulu, A+

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I think understanding German grammar helps Americans understand English grammar better.

We don't have to deal with cases and gender etc.. Having to use them forces one to understand language at a sharper detail.

I remember more of those lessons than anything I retained from Strunk and White.

Funny thing. Germans and Austrians , even on the street, will correct your grammar readily. They tend to do so in a very understanding and polite manner. It must be that so many are used to GI-German coming from the Kaserne nearby, or kuh-zerrrn as you'll hear it pronounced.

Americans usually let non-native speakers slide on these errors, as long as they get the gist across.
    We also let each other slide on the same rules. I think our language will morph further as people apply informal spoken English in electronic written communication.

13. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    This is probably a function of North America being composed of all sorts of immigrants. At the same time, English has always benefited from the lack of really rigid formalism. There are no official academies for English like there are for, say, French. Thus the language is free to evolve, grow, and borrow as is required without bowing to the strictures of academics.

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I agree. A lot of people tell me I'm a very good technical writer, but the truth is I was really pretty careless and undisciplined at writing (but not spelling) until I studied German and a programming language (FORTRAN) back in high school.

Learning a foreign language really made me knuckle down and concentrate on sentence structure and general grammar, while learning a programming language was good exercise for syntax, concision, and accuracy.

And when we read Beowulf and The Canterbury Tales in English class, those of us studying German had a slightly easier time of it than the students studying French or Spanish did. ;)

15. This actually reminds me of something I wanted to ask my fellow English-speakers (anyone who speaks English as a primary language).
    I have some general education electives in my class schedule. I may take some business or music classes, but other than that, many of the available choices do not interest me too much. I have been considering taking a foreign language, and I haven't decided which one. I took some Spanish in high school, but I don't remember very much of it (Use it or lose it, you see).
    Now, there's a lot of them I've been thinking about, but since this thread is all about the German. . . how difficult is learning the German language compared to others?

16. My german teacher said it is indeed a fact that german helps you understand english better moreso than any of the other romance languages. I don't know how you'd actually figure that out, but she says its honest to goodness truth.

Ich bin sehr :cool: