Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zebrawood fretboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Volk, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    I recently picked up a zebrawood fretboard off ebay cheap and was wondering if anyone had any experience using it as a fretboard or had any idea how it would sound.

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I've seen a good couple of things so far, but not one single zebrano fb...

3. I've seen a couple of zebrawood fretboards.

Anyway, how it will sound will depend on what else the bass is made out of, what the pickups are, etc.

4. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    Well the body is black korina, and the neck is maple. I'm looking primarily more for durability issues here, although in the end I may just epoxy it.

5. This is going on a fretted or fretless bass?

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Do you guys have any links to the zebrawood fingaboards? I don't know that I've ever seen one. My experience has been that it likes to split along the variegated lines when worked with cutterheads and since I had never seen a zebra fingerboard, I assumed runout or stability might be a problem.

Lincoln describes Zebrano as having "small movement in service", which is a good sign. Sources on the web show zebrano as having a stiffness comparable to hard maple and a slightly higher density. Lincoln also describes zebra as alternating softer and harder wood. I don't know whether this would translate to uneven wear or not. If you are planning on using it for a fretless board, it may make sense to either epoxy right out of the gate or play the bass for a while to get a sense whether epoxy will be necessary or not.

7. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    Fretless, and yeah, from my research I keep getting conflicting reports of it's durability and hardness.

8. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    I'm sure it varies a little bit from board to board but welcome to researching wood properties on the web.

Unless you've got a lot of money riding on this instrument and it's too risky for you to take a chance, I think you should go for it - start unfinished and keep an eye on the wear. Add epoxy if it starts to wear unevenly.

The other thing you could if you have the resources is mill it along with a couple of other fingerboards from different woods. Do your own impromptu stiffness and janka tests. Where's Suburban when you need him?!

9. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    It looks pretty dang cool.

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    IMO stick with the tried-and-true woods... or at least use more wear-resistant and durable woods

11. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    I think this guy likes to live dangerously. He's using canarywood as a fingerboard and spalted maple as a neck core on one of his basses.

12. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    Mine as well go for it, I can't really lose too much, but I'll probably epoxy right off the bat, or maybe even try epoxying before I attach the fingerboard since this will be my first attempt at it. On that subject, anyone know of a good epoxy? I heard system 3 mirror coat mentioned earlier...