zebrawood vs. myrtlewood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppysubs, May 24, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ive done searchs and come up empty handed. so im gonna ask my question.

what are the differences in tonal charecteristics of zebrawood vs. myrtlewood? i already know they are both eye catchers, but what of the sounds?

i have a zebrawood warwick and i noticed it has a very open grain and they didnt finish it. so its not really "shiny" like fenders or zons or spectors...if you understand what im saying here. is it possible that the open grain wont allow it to be made shiny? but also ive seen myrtlewood and im told its a nice wood to have. but id like to compare the two and see what you all think. thanks.
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I'm a big fan of myrtle, mainly for tonal reasons, thanks to Keith Roscoe. He just built me an LG-3005 with a one-piece myrtle body, and it's just an extraordinarily beautiful bass, with tone to die for. It's heavy enough to provide a good solid fundamental, yet light enough to get kicked around and come back to rest exactly where it's supposed to. I had another Roscoe burl myrtle bass that I sold, and I keep kicking myself (mentally) every time I think about it. Here's a pic of my current myrtle LG-3005.
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    They did finish it, it has oil finish and you should apply the wax to it, then rub it and it will shine ;)
    So does my Corvette: even though it is oil-finished, therefore not a sealed finish, with the wax and a bit rubbing it will be nice and shiny

BTW: Nice score nonsqtr!
  4. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    Warwick does not put a high gloss finish on any of their basses unless you order it that way. It is a custom shop option and that is the way Warwick does it. As mutantbassist said, treat it with the wax that Warwick provides. It won't shine that much but it will still look great and do it at least once a month to keep the wood protected.

As for the tonal differences between them, I have no idea.
  5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    There are going to be differences between Zebra and Myrtle tonally. Zebrawood is more dense and will yield a brighter and tighter sound than Myrtle which is less dense and more open sounding. FWIW, Zebrawood is pretty hard stuff to work with, and as a result, the cost of what your building may be adjusted higher because it is so hard to work with. Personly, I have a Roscoe with a Myrtle/Myrtle body/top, and I love it! It seems to be able to do it all tonally. In fact, I have a SKB with a Zebra top hopefully shipping to me soon. I have had several Zebrawood topped basses, but never a full body with that wood. I can only imagine how heavy it would be though, probobly similar in weight to Bubinga. Hope that helps.
  6. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ok, so a sealed finish is what makes those basses shiny?

that bass looks really awsome. so myrtle is pretty good through the specturm huh? i suppose ill just have to wait it out and see. so zebrawood is bright and tight and myrtle is more dense so therefore more low end? thanks for the help.
  7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Zebrawood is more dense than Myrtle which is why it yields a punchier attack. To me, the Myrtle has a more even response, not necessarily more low end. Myrtle has a softer, rounder sound than Zebrawood which has more attack and mid growl.