Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zeppelin

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Led Zepplin is revered by many as being a truly great band. I don't understand it at all. Their music really doesn't do it for me at all. Music often does stuff for me. It gives me a great feeling. Lots of music does that, from mozart, to rancid, lots of music makes me feel good. Zeppelin just bores me. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

2. have you tried listening to LZII at high volumes while driving a fast car?

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    There is this thing called "Opinion".

Try to learn this.

I hate rancid. I hate them in the upmost degree. But all this does is cause argument and sillyness. Everyone has different tastes, it's best NOT to post a view that might might have people saying there "likes" as "Musical FACT".

Learn to except that different people like different things.

Thanks.

4. For what it's worth, I do know one (1) other person that doesn't like Zep. Plant makes him crazy.

Opinions be damned, you are just plain wrong.;)

5. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    Blasphemy!

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Any particular songs or albums or have you listened to everything by Led Zeppelin?

Also, what are your particular interests?

Wulf

7. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    if you dont like the collective feeling of their music, then just actively listen to a particular musician(bonham, page, and jpj to be more precise).

if not moved by the music, you should surely be moved by these fellas musicianship.

8. Just put the zep records down, mkay? If you don't like it, there's no way you can force yourself to. Try coming back to it in a year or two and see how it's treating you then.

9. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i can believe that you dont like their music,however i cannot believe that you dont appreciate what they do musically. i'm not saying you downed them in anyway but you did'nt say anything positive about them either.rwality does'nt lie,they are the best selling band of all time,they highset grossing live act of all time(in a few diff. catagories)the best paid band meaning they made more money per show than any other band EVER ! and last but not least not one of the band members were of average talent,each of them were at the top of the polls as individual musicians(each one was a master at what they played/sang).they carved the way for the rest of the music scene for years to come.everyone has their opinion's,tastes,likes and dis-likes which makes our society as diversified as it is. its ok not to like them but dont dis-like them,what they did deserves repect wheather we like their music or not.:D I CAN THINK OF ALOT OF BANDS FAR WORSE THAN ZEPPELIN THAT PEOPLE LOOK UP TO,THAT WE CAN MAKE FUN OF:D

10. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Put anouther one down for not getting the Zep thing. I mean, I've tried to get into them but it was just a no go. That being said, the second album was killer. Good rock album.

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I would guess that the average age of the typical Zep non-fan is inversely proportional to the age of the average 'modern band-disliker.'
    Know what I mean?

12. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    *nods*

13. I know, this is just opinion. I didn't state it as fact, just how it effects me.

And xush, I can't stand most stuff put out recently, (I said most) I like alot of older stuff. I know I'm committing heresy. But EVERYONE likes zeppelin it seems, and I dunno, it just dones't do it for me. It donse't bring a smile to my face.

14. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i think you always have to put a band in their context--by that i mean did you first heat LZ in 1968 and not like them, or first hear them in 1998 and not like them? Many bands don't hold up over time, i personally think LZ does. Plus they have been a major influence on much of what came after them.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FWIW-
    ...I loved LZ as a teen(Hell, I think III was given to me on 12th birthday).
    Eventually, I became a Jazz-Nazi as an older teen.

Only recently, like the past 6-7 years(& now with the release of these DVDs/CDs)-
    ...I have re-visited Zeppelin.

IMO, they do stand the test of time.
    IMO, if a band is "going for it"...their music will hold up & sound fresh despite a passage of time.

I also like how LZ didn't merely reproduce their material verbatim when LIVE; they stretched it out & played.

Just one man's opinion...

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    If it makes you feel any better, Davy, with the exception of Stairway, they don't do all that much for me either. I've not heard an awful lot of their material, though, I must say.

17. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    [​IMG]

To put it nicely ;)

18. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Check out this thread for some perspective - looking at the contribution made by Zepp bassist John Paul Jones. There's some ideas there that might give a fresh perspective next time you listen to Led Zeppelin.

Wulf

19. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    since i was knee high to a grasshopper i have always felt ZEPS music,what i mean by that is when i am listening to a certain song it moves me emotionally. like when i hear an awesome drumm fill by BONZO the hair on my arms stand up with excitement,when i hear lyrics being shrieked by PLANT it takes me back in time when that song was playing while a significant time in my life was happening,or the words so closely connect whith how i'm feeling that it chokes me up.no other band has ever had that profound of an effect on me EVER ! dont get me wrong thewre are other bands that i love to listen to and make me feel good(SABBATH,WHO,BEATLES you know the drill)but its not the same as what ZEP does to me.i have had some very hard times in my life,when i was a young man i was one of the best drummers in my area.after a while i started to lose my foothold on my life,my best friend tried to rape my girlfriend and it blew me away,i really got into hard drugs and i lost everything i had worked so hard for and i turned into a junkie,10 years and 20 rehabs,50 detox's and 3 jail terms later i have my life back(whats left for me to salvage)and to this day when i listen to ZEPPELIN it takes me back in my life to when i was somebody,when i was'nt all messed up on heroin,when i was innocent and young.and the feelings it brings back to me is sometimes overwhelming to the point it brings tears to my eyes, it amazes me still ! i dont know where i am going with this i just wanted to share some of my life and how music effects me so drastically. now that i have been playing bass for the last year or so it has given me back some of my confidence that i so freely gave away to my addiction, when i was getting high everyday i did'nt even listen to music never mind to play it,i would have sold any instrument i got my lttle mits on long before i would have been able to play it. i would actually not listen to Zeppelin because it hurt so much to hear those songs that had ment so much to me at one time or another that i completely blocked out all music, it hurt to much to listen because it reminded me of how i was and how good life could be without the use of mood or mind altering drugs.now that i have been clean and sober for 5 years or so i can actually listen to my favorite Zep tunes and figure out the basslines without getting to choked up (though i still get a lump in my throat from time to time)i am in no way trying to preach to you people or shove recovery down your throat,i just wanted to share how much of an effect that music can have on somebodies life both good and bad. peace and may you never have to travel the path that i so freely chose to run down blindly.;)

20. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I know what it is!! They didn't drop tune to E flat or B!! LOL! Just kiddin