Zepplin and the lord of the rings

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JJBACOOMBA, Jan 13, 2006.

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    A nieghbor of mine just came over and asked me if I knew the name of the song that was in the movie " Lord of the Rings" played by Led Zepplin?He couldnt remember which LOTR it was, or which album it was on.Anybody?
  2. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I think that is Blind Guardian that has a song called Lord of the Rings
  3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    In the Led Zeppelin song "Ramble On" Plant's lyrics make reference to the Lord of the Rings...Is that what your thinking of?

I don't remember any Zep song in the movies, but I only saw them each once.

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    thanks. He did mention that there are references to frodo and other characters in the song. I just couldnt think of which song and I wasnt into LOTR back then.
  5. There's a Nuclear Rabbit song about Bilbo Baggins. :D

- Dave

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Burnt,,,,, thats the one. Thanks!!
  7. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Styxx has a Lord of the Rings song... "All Hail to the Lords of Rings"
  8. Zeppelin was into Tolkien's writings, I hear the influence in "Stairway to Heaven"

I read something in Rolling Stone's 50 greatest music acts....Dave Grohl wrote about Zep, and he felt Lord of the Rings might have not become a movie if it wasn't for them...pretty cool read..

.....but he said nothing about JPJ ....:rollno: :scowl: :eek:

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Way cool!! this turned out to be a more informative thread than I intended. Thanks everybody!!!
  10. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    In an interview I read from Robert Plant , he said during the first tour he spent much time reading LOTR .

There are three songs that directly reference this.

#1 Ramble On , lyrics :" Golllum and the evil one slipped away with her "
    #2 Misty Mountain Hop , refering to the "Misty Mountains in The fellowship of the Ring "

#3 Battle Of Evermore , Lyrics :" The Ring Wraiths ride in black" .

I love the way he wove this story into his songs .

11. Not Stairway...THAT'S the one I meant....awesome!
  12. JPJ wasnt a fan - I beleive in an article/interview he referred to Plant and his 'fairy ****'.

13. Oh Well....somebody's got to anchor the band while guitarists go to never never land..
  14. Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    Haven't seen the Lord of the Rings, but was told that the Battle of Evermore was an inspiration to the author of the books.
  15. Thegiantgnome

May 31, 2005
    he also mentions the steps of mordore in ramble on. But plant was a pretty big LOTR fan. You just have to listen to what he is actually saying.
  16. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    From what some older folks tell me, LOTR was a must-read for aspiring hippies back in the day; and, I read somewhere's that LOTR is the 3rd or 4th most read book, ever, after the bible/koran/upanishads. Don't know about the factual accuracy of that, though.
  17. skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    Well, seeing as The Lord of The Rings was written in the late 30's through late 40's, you were tragically misinformed. However LOTR was a huge inspiration to the writer of that song. ;)
  18. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I don't think it was in the aspiring hippie handbook. Hippies were mostly a 60's thing w/ the summer of love and Height Ashbury.
    Long hiar does not = hippie.
    Plant was just into that kind of stuff. I tried reading the Hobbit and couldn't get past all the weird words so I put it down. Plant is into Medevil stuff also. Page was into the Occult, though never professed to be a Warlock or any thing. He did buy Allister Crowley's Castle who is Ozzy's Mr. Crowley. I'm not sure Bonzo was into anything except cars and motorcycles, and I think JPJ thought it was all silly.
  19. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Prefaced by, "In the darkest depths of MORDOR, I met a girl so fair."
  20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As somebody else said - how wrong could you be!! ;)

Tolkien was writing about Middkle Earth in the 1930s, when Robert Plant was still a glimmer in his parents' eyes!! ;)

I find it increasingly strange that people repeat misinfomation like this - when you can check it in about 30 seconds using Google...:meh: