zero fret problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by skguitarsbasses, Jan 3, 2005.

1. So I am getting to the final stages, and as I go to tune the bass up I discover a great deal of buzzing on the B and E strings. I am using a zero fret, and I am assuming that the problem is due to the tapered/wrapped end of the strings resting on the zero fret as opposed to the fatter part.
    I have tried raising the action a bit, and it doesn't help much and eventually just gets too high.
    Are my only realistic options to try and find longer scale strings for B and E, or replace the zero fret with a slightly taller piece of fretwire? If so, any suggestions on longer scale strings (used a standard ghs 6 string set. bass is 35" scale)

As always, your suggestions and help are appreciated

2. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Long scale strings definitely. Getting long enough scale strings for any 35" scale bass is important, zero-fret or no.
  3. I don't think there is any way a zero fret system can work if all of the strings don't rest on the same horizontal plane. After all, that's what you leveled your fretboard for - to maintain an even distance from the bottom of the strings to the frets. If you don't have the full diameter of the string resting on the zero fret, you have defeated, by the thickness of the wrapping wire, the controlled height you need for buzzless play. To test, you can put something under the strings at the nut and measure their height to match the others. Then if the buzz goes away, you know where the problem lies.
  4. thank you both. much appreciated.
  5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Same thing would happen with a nutted bass, if the nut were cut for a proper (full windings) string. So, get a proper (wound far enough) string.