1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Zero Fret Vintage Jazz Bass® LTD???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OmegaZ27, Apr 16, 2006.

1. OmegaZ27

OmegaZ27

Sep 18, 2005
    California
  2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love Fenders ability to add one feature to a bass and call it an entirely different model.

*adds piezo to MIM jazz* "POWER JAZZ!"

and now this.

The list goes on as well.

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Zero fret? So it has a fret right after the nut? Does this make it sound more consistent?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats the idea.

5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    They sure nailed the vintage part, right down to the neck that shifted so the strings are off to one side :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Pretty color. Spec sheet says rosewood board only, I wonder if that's vintage style documentation.

6. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Not too different from ebmm adding a pickup to a stingray and creating a enw model though, is it?

I'm just saying a big corporation will due whatever they want as long as it boosts sales and get positive feeback. I don't care what Fender does with new model names and features, I just like mine. ;)

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont see your parallel really. EBMM added a pickup, and whats the model called? Stingray.. dual pickup. aka Stingray HH , and the originals are stingray H. What would you prefer they called it? They changed the name as minimally as possible. its the same bass, only now available with a choice of pickup configurations.

The jazz has been introduced with tons of different names. Its not like you order a fender jazz and they ask you what options you would like. If you want a fender jazz with a zero fret, you order a "zero fret vintage jazz bass"

see the difference?

As far as the strings shifting, thats exactly what the case was with my first bass, a 1993 MIM jazz. The strings were very close to the G string side of the neck. I even replaced the bridge, to no avail.

8. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    isn't the stingray and the sterling the same bass except with a different neck and pickup selector. thats the same thing as the power jazz. boy you sure are defensive about the ernie balls. i think someone might be jealous of that fender jazz:D

9. I thought most basses with a zero fret also had a bar holding down the strings near the nut/zero fret to avoid buzz on the zero fret caused by the strings moving perpendicular to the finger board.

So its ok for EBMM to call their new bass a Stringray Dual Pickup but its not ok for fender to call their new bass a Zero Fret Vintage Jazz Bass? Is that because EBMM added two words to their bass name where as Fender added 3? They are still calling it a Jazz Bass in case you didn't notice - I don't see what all the fuss is about.

10. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I'm sorry for your troubles with the MIM, and I can understand you're argument and I do agree with you. The sentiment reagrding the dozen of different "jazz basses" out their is comletely justified.

I just don't think it's something to stress over. Fender will do whatever they want to advertise their products regardless of how you or I feel about it. I respect EBMM's stance regarding advertisement (or lack there of).

11. Sterlings have a slimmer neck and smaller more contoured body as well as a different pre amp and added coil selector.

12. steve21

steve21 Banned

and the pickups are made of two different things (alinco vs. ceramic)

13. I love your ability to be so surley :rolleyes:

Who cares? What would you call it boss? Jazz Bass with Piezo? How gay.

14. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    I've seen that. There's also a '66 RI too. With the oval tuners. I always kinda liked those.

15. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Bahahahaha. I read that and though, you GOTTA be aussie... not that we are all like that.

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The injustice of it all is overwhelming, I know.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont even have to read profiles to tell who plays a Fender here :)

My basic feeling is really this; is the zero fret really gonna make a drastic difference? Its supposed to improve the tone of the open strings. So even if it was effective , the only thing different about this bass would be 4 open stringed-notes.

I think their open stringed note tone, and every note's tone would benefit more from more solid construction, rather than a zero fret, which may or may not even do anything on these particular basses.

18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, stick it to the man. Don't stop now, you're on fire.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im sure those comments help too.

Just because I have a negative opinion towards your favorite brand bass doesnt necesarily justify your comments. We're all entitled to our opinions, and i have supported mine with an explanation, not just simply saying 'fender sucks'

I can understand the 'fender' part of your heart is insulted. For that i apologize, im not taking a dig at all of fenders stuff, i just tihnk that certain features, such as this, could just as effectively be tied in to already existing models. Ive made my point, nothing futher.

20. its also masterbuilt so its probibly SUPER expensive. just for a zero fret one a nice fender, doesnt seem worth the price tag it will have on it.