Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zeta Educator Crossover

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by cecile, Nov 7, 2004.

1. I'm going to begin playing EUB soon, and I found a Zeta Educator Crossover for a good price. What are some pros and cons of this bass for a beginner?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Con; a really weird name for a bass.
    Sorry, I'm just bein' a smarta$$...never seen one.

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    If what you want is a bowable bass guitar then that is what the crossover is. I played one when they fist came out, can't remember if I liked it or not, although I still like the idea.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well to me - there is no point whatsoever in having a short scale EUB - it is a function of the scale length and full-size strings - or at least a part of this, that characterises DB.

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Well if you get then small enough they can fit in a suitcase ;) other than that..................

I made a 30" scale EUB for a trip this summer in two days or so. It was great to practice with and fun to play, but beyond that it isn't that useful. I do plan on turning it into a EC though.

6. I looked at them when I was EUB shopping. I decided the 35" scale was too much like the BG I was selling to buy an EUB :bassist: .

For me, the 41 1/2" scale was very important since I'll be switching back and forth between my EUB and the ol' Kay Swingmaster.

Just my $.02

PS: my Ergo should be here this week :hyper:

7. The short scale may or may not be a problem for you.
    If you are serious about learning DB and playin' in the proper style, then this would not be the best choice.
    On the other hand if you just want to experiment with something different in a progressive rock type situation, and the price is right, then go for it. You can always sell it later and try something else. :cool:

8. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    As you probably know, the Crossover was created for people who play bass guitar and want to, well, cross over to upright. As a result, the bass is a hybrid, with a fretboard that is short, yet rounded. It allows you to work in the upright position (learning process) and get used to the increased string tension and spacing to begin developing your hand muscles. For purists, it just doesn't make any sense, and people will bicker endlessly about whether or not it feels right or sounds right, etc. But, if you think you would benefit from playing something that feels and sounds more upright without jumping all the way to an upright neck, there is nothing better than the crossover.
    PS I love mine. :smug:

9. I think this has been mentioned in previous threads - (use "search" and look for "Zeta").

Here's one of them…

It's my understanding that the "Educator" has a larger scale (41½") than that of the "Crossover" (35") - but I would argue that the only instrument which plays, sounds, and feels like a double-bass is… yup, you guessed it… a double-bass!

Hope this helps -
    - Wil

10. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm with Bruce. Ain't no point getting a short scale bass if your intention is to play EUB - which I assume to be like an NS Designs, Eminence, or Azola bass. You have to start building up your hand muscles to handle the bigger scale length, not to mention your fingering is important and you won't get a good feel of the note positions on a short scale.

I made the transition from electric to DB a while back, and there's just no comparison. When I play fretless now it just doesn't feel right at all. No offense BLUEMONKEY, but IMO that crossover thing is kinda like a wannabe DB. It's neither here nor there. If you really wanna play a EUB, why beat around the bush?

11. Tried em in stores a couple of times and I did not care for the sound.

I think the old BSX T-series is better. It is 41-41.5 scale.
    It has a particularly good arco. The down side (probably common for EUB's) is that for pizz, there is alot of sustain. Too much to match a db. And ofcourse you miss the percussiveness of a db.

Good Luck,
    Dave