1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zeus Red Witch noisy fuzz circuit pots!!??!!??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thwack, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Thwack

Thwack Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Seattle
    Help!
    I've just received my second attempt at the much hailed Red Witch pedal (used, advertised as in xlnt condition). I returned one after the first test because when I would move either the sputter or fuzz pot it was super loud and scratchy sounding, especially the Sputter knob, which also seemed to be only semi-functional sputter wise compared to some of the demo vids I watched.
    Well, second unit, same behavior! So, my question is, is this the way this pedal is supposed to behave or is it a common or know failure issue or should I be initiating another return?

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Did you set the internal trim pots by the directions to get everything even first? The Front mounted Sputter and Fuzz pots sound scratchy ect but it is the circuit making that noise. Also there are Areas on the pots that make things sound very unspectacular Kind of like off but then move one a bit more and it comes back. I think they are all like that. I found the sound I wanted from mine and just left it set there.

Thwack likes this.
  3. jloftin1

jloftin1

Aug 7, 2009
    Carrollton, Ga
    I believe Southampton pedals mentioned that the gain and heat knobs do that on the fifth gear and it is normal when the pots are directly tied to the transistors. I have found that to be true also of fuzzes I've modded with pots modifying the resistors around the transistors. I think it's just the nature of some circuits. Of course I'm just a guy on the internet so grain of salt and all that.

4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Yes, the sputter knob especially is supposed to make the loud scratchy noise - it's a bias adjustment knob. No worries. Also no worries when Fuzz is turned down and Sputter seems to cut ALL signal when it gets below about 1:00. I had one of these for a hot second and watched all the vids I could on it.

Thwack likes this.
  5. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia

Thwack likes this.