1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Zimmerly RKZ-4 Buckeye Burl Mint - Price Drop

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by EyeBoy, Jan 6, 2018.

1. EyeBoy

EyeBoy Gold Supporting Member

Price:
    $1550
    Strings:
    This is a rare and beautiful 34”-scale instrument from Kevin Zimmerly, who built basses for Randy Coven. It has a 7-piece through-neck (maple with walnut stringers). The board is ebony with 24-frets (plus zero-fret), unique MOP inlays and 1.5” nut width. The body wings are a 5-piece sandwich with an intense buckeye burl top and flame maple back. Cool accents include matching buckeye burl control knobs and 7-piece wood pickup covers matching the neck. Included is a pre-cut buckeye burl veneer that is shaped for the headstock, if you wanted to have a luthier match it to the body. Pickups are Duncan Hot Stack humcancelling J’s and controls are passive V-V-T. Black hardware includes Gotoh tuners, Dunlop strap locks and Schaller bridge. The bass plays buzz-free with very low action and great tone. It is in near-mint condition, with no dents or dings and no significant scratches or fret wear. Weight is 9 lbs., 4 oz. Will ship in a gig bag or soft case. Free shipping to CONUS. No trade interests at the moment.

ZimmerlyBod.

ELG60 and slugger like this.
  2. EyeBoy

3. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly

Sep 3, 2013
    Indiana
    That is stunning!

4. BoxcarWilbur

BoxcarWilbur Cayo

Apr 13, 2012
    Austin Texas
    I've got one of his 6 string basses. He does nice work. A rare item, even here. Last one i saw many years ago was the one i bought, doubt you shall have any problems selling that one.

5. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    Wow.

6. EyeBoy

Thanks, guys. It is indeed a spectacular piece of woodcraft. Even more importantly, though, the fretboard and setup are just perfect and she sounds fantastic.

7. Another stunner! GlWTS.

8. That is a beautiful bass! Do you have any recordings to share?

9. EyeBoy

Sorry, no recordings.

10. Can you offer some comparisons of the tonal characteristics of this bass compared to more common instruments?

11. EyeBoy

I would put it in the most tasteful end of the passive J-bass spectrum. The pickup placement and the pickups themselves are J's - I really like the tone from these Duncan Hot-Stacks, which are of course noiseless. The body, neck and fretboard run to the brighter end (e.g., maple, ebony) but the bass definitely does not lack for warmth. The controls are straight volume-volume-tone, so the usual options there.

12. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Wow.

13. EyeBoy

Sold for $1550.