Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

***ZING!****

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Went bass window shopping today with the misses and played a couple of really nice moduli... and it got me thinking.. what gives modulus and zon's that ZING.. is it the graphite or is it the bart pre amp? just wondering..

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i dunno, man....but i love my zon

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    The Pedulla's have it too, in my opinion, and they have a coated board; so my guess is that is definitely has something to do w/ the combo of superhard board and Barts. It's a nice recipe for sure!

I have played a few Mod's I didn't care for; seemed to me I liked the EMG ones, they seemed warmer though still suffficiently zingy/tangy/zesty. Dang, now I'm craving something lemony...

The ones you played have composite boards, yeah?

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm gonna say that the composite neck/fingerboard is what gives these basses their "zing", especially the Zon Fretlesses.

There's just something magic about a Zon fretless....

:D

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I have 2 Modulus basses and I can say that it's definitley the phenolic board/graphite neck that gives it it's character sound. It's not the bart preamp as I have the same pre on other basses, and they aren't as zingy in sound. The Mods with the EMG electronics to me sound even brighter. I think the Barts mellow the sound out a bit.

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    cool

7. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Who cares what makes it happen, just as long as Joe keeps on making it happen.

8. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i care cause i have a zing addiction i need to get a fix for!

9. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Then go buy a MM Stingray,it has all the ZING you would want,and then some

10. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    my old screen name was stingrayguy......

i need to sound like trip, oteil , manthing.........without practicing...this will do it right?;)

11. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    guess not! lol

;)

12. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I had the chance to play a modulus q 5 about a month ago... It scared me! :p That bass sounded so good it hurt! I would get one in a heartbeat... If I wasn't so broke!

P@