Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ziricote for a fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Does anyone here know anything about Ziricote? Would it make a good board for a fretless?

2. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    Yup. We use it alot. It works good for fretboards, sorta between pau ferro and ebony. Beautiful to look at, pain in the ass to work with. Awful stuff.:)

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I would stabilize it first.

4. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    I have ziricote on my Yancey 4 string(a fretted)and it's an outstanding fretboard wood. Mikegag's description of it being somewhere between pau ferro and ebony is accurate. I also had it on an Acacia Gruv 5 that I owned a few years ago.

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    From what I understand, ziricote is Mexican ebony, so it should be fine. My next Warmoth fretless will have a maple neck with a ziricote board, so I guess I'll find out soon enough:

[​IMG]

6. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks for the answers guys. This application would be for a lined fretless. If it's in the same range as ebony then it should hold up fine for wear.

Is it possible to stablize after it is built installed on the neck?

7. I don't think so.

Mike

8. i used to have a zon fretless which had a ziracote top. it was quite nice, very light as well, but i didn't like the pickups so close together (sonus special). it was heavy in the low mids and was a mwah machine.

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I just bought three stabilized Ziricote boards.

Ziricote is great, I'm actually using one on my next fretted 4 SC.

[​IMG]

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my first fretless 7, and the fretless neck on my doubleneck are both ziricote boards. sound awesome, imo, and look it too.

11. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA

I'm gathering ideas about the Warmoth Jazz Bass I want to build, and I saw this same neck on the Warmoth site, I was about to buy it but I really dont want any inlays at all. The Ziricote is awesome. I plan on getting the Ziricote with no inlays.

12. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    This sounds like the ticket, then. Thanks!

Is it smooth like ebony or is there more apparent grain like rosewood?

13. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    smooth. Here's an early pic of my Ziricote top

[​IMG]