Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zombie Movies

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fatbassjazzer, Aug 14, 2004.

1. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    This thread is for people who love zombie movies specifically. Some of my favorites include Zombie by Lucio Fulci and Dawn of the Dead (original). I thought Dead Alive was really funny and the gore was increadable though not scary. Those of you who love zombie movies speak up!

I know this has been done before, but that was quite some time ago.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, me too.

I am currently waiting on Shaun of the Dead (looks very funny) and later, Resident Evil: Apocalypse.

3. ;) I love them, been addicted to zombie flicks since i was a kid and the original "Dawn of the Dead" was a new release.
    I must say the Italian ones are the best, the goriest...and the cheesiest

4. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Day of the Dead was slow at first but Tom Savini's makeup work was increadable at the end. He is my favorite makeup artist.

5. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Zombie movies scare the crap out of me. :ninja:

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I really liked 'Return Of The Living Dead.' I especially liked the part where a guy pronounces himself to be an expert on Zombies because he has seen all of Romeros zombie movies.

He instructs his cohorts to let the zombie shuffle slowly through the door and they can kill it as it tries to eat one of them. He tells them it will move slowly and then he goes to hide behind some barrels at the far end of the room. They open the door and the zombie dashes right between them, across the room to the barrels and grabs the hiding 'expert.; :eek:

Classic :hyper:

7. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Same thing with my girlfriend. Just the sight of zombies gives her nightmares.

8. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    As part of Mondo Movie Night last month here in Scranton they ran a showing of Lucio Fulci's "Zombie". There's just nothing like seeing it on the big screen. Even handed out barf bags. :eek:

I pick Fulci over Romero. Maybe I've watched NOTLD or DOTD too many times but they don't thrill me as much. Fulci's zombies and the whole atmosphere of his movies give me the creeps. Favorite one is "The Beyond". I also enjoy the Return of the Living Dead movies (at least the first two). They can be both funny and scary at the same time, not to mention cool soundtracks. "Dead Alive" is also a good one. And one I recommend everyone checking out is "Dellamorte Dellamore" (I think it's called "Cemetery Man" in America).

...and my all time guilty pleasure zombie film is..."CHUD 2: Bud the Chud"...I don't know why. :bag:

9. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I've seen Return of The Living Dead a million times. Great homage to Romero with lots of gore and twisted humor too.

"Send more cops."

Also notable for James Karen's appearance as someone other than The Pathmark Man.

10. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    Where can one see, Fulci's, "Zombie"? I've heard so much about it over the years. Can I find it at Hollywood or Blockbuster? Or is it one of those hard-to-find VHS tapes that I have to hunt down on Amazon?

To add to the list, though, try, "28 Days Later". :bag:

11. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Blockbuster generally has a better horror movie selection. I just bought it at FYE though. It's definitley worth the buy.

I didn't think 28 Days Later was all that bad, except the ending. :rolleyes:

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You can find it at most Suncoast Video store for like $10 or $15 bucks-they usually have a good selection of scifi/horror flicks for sale. "Zombie" was good, but I do prefer the Romeros. Fulci's "House by the Cemetary" is also good, if you can get over the terrible dubbing.

13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I think any movie featuring Keanu Reeves qualifies as a zombie movie.

14. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    "Whoa."

15. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.

+1 way too happy of an ending for a horror movie, though I wouldn't really say that 28 Days Later was a zombie movie. But I didn't think it was that bad.

By the way I really like zombie movies as evidenced by my avatar.

16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Who here has seen the remake of Night of the Living Dead (1990)? Now thats a quality zombie flick! Tom Savini did an excellent job with it...

17. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California

LOL! So true.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My favorite is Dawn of the Dead, but I like all of Romero's work, as well as Return of the Living Dead.

I have heard that Night of the Zombies is even gorier than Dawn, but can't seem to find it anywhere.

19. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    The have Night of The Zombies at Amazon.com for $15. I've never seen it before but I think I'll check it out.

20. 28 DAYS LATER

The only Zombie movie I've seen with a realistic plot.