Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon + Aguilar Preamps

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassjamn, Dec 20, 2004.

1. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Has anyone had a Zon Sonus built with a Aguilar pre-amp? I searched and saw older threads about Bartolini and the polyfusion ZP preamps.

Though when i ordered my new custom i was actually able to ask for a OBP Aguilar onboard.
    I was told they sound more open / Less compressed....I've always liked how aguilars Pre-amps sound but never heard one in a Zon Before.

2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    I know, this is a very old thread, but I was wondering about your experience with the Aguilar pre.

M

3. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Not that it's a direct comparison but my Modulus M92-5 was modded with an Aguilar OBP-1. To my ears the bass is wonderful but the highs can get brittle and out of control very quickly. For me, there's a spot that makes slapping sound like it should and then you don't take it past that.

The pickup is the (presumably) stock EMG so, again, maybe not much of a comparison.

4. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    very late response but...i didnt like the sound of the Ag pre-amp with the sonus, it was a bit too flat for me. I had them swap back in the original polyfusion pre-amp.
    Fits much nicer with the bart pickups and zon components imo

5. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    At the risk of seeming dim - how can I tell which preamp is which ?? My sonus custom has a fairly *huge* preamp board in the cavity, 2 band EQ... with an output pot on the board.

And I'm very happy with the sound, by they way... I'd just like to know what I gots.

6. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Well the custom's typically come with a polyfusion, and bass/treble/mid range knobs.
    You have a pot on the board, and 2 band? i had a sonus 5/1 that was like that, really good sounding pre-amp...i believe the pickup was seymor duncan, cant remember the pre-amp brand though

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If it's an open board, it's the polyfusion. Both Bartolini and Aguilar have their preamps packaged in epoxied boxes.

(The internal pot should be your midrange control.)

8. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Mine's 98, flame walnut (one of those really rare Ebay scores where I went DAMN! when I first played it). It is, without doubt, a 9 volt 2 band preamp that doesn't have huge headroom but sounds very nice, particularly for fingerstyle playing.

I didn't see a logo on the back of the board - but I didn't look to carefully...

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Look like this, more or less? (Should be a little different due to midrange control difference)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    bigger, as I recall... But I'm at work, so I can't check her out right now... I'll try to remember to pop the cover at home and take a snap...