Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon and Windex and WD40, OH MY!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Aug 22, 2003.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    from the man himself.

gonna clean my 2 Sonai this weekend with this stuff.

for the polyester body coat = WINDEX

for the phenowood fingerboard = WD40!

who woulda thunk?

f

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey Fred, next time you talk to Mr. Z, ask him what he recommends for the morningwood fingerboard and the hand-rubbed chich oil finishes?

:eek:

:D

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    WD40 as a fongerboad oil? You'd think something "kinder" or "gentler" would be more appropriate;)

4. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    keep in mind, Phenowood is pretty tough stuff.

i don't think Joe Z. would recommend it otherwise.

f

5. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i use Jergens.

:cool:

f

6. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    Unless you were talking to his evil twin, Moe. Hell bent on destroying all basses he makes people use ludicrous products to damage their Zon's. or not.

Is this "phenowood" actually wood at all. I heard the word Phenolic a few times and assumed it was some sort of plastic or other man-made substance
    :confused:

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    phenowood is void free birch that has been impregnated with phenolic resic using a high temp/pressre process.

8. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    thanks. So if it's dead solid and tough, does it sound and feel ebony-ish???
    or is it very much it's own thing?

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    neptoon pretty much has the whole thing straight, except that the wood is laminated veneers, not a solid piece. This actually makes it more sturdy. It is actually called Diamondwood by the manufacturer, and is used by several builders as a fingerboard or as a neck wood under the names diamondwood (Roscoe on fretlesses), rockwood (Curbow on all of his USA made basses up until recently), or phenowood (Zon on all fingerboards at this point). It is also available in several different colors, as can be witnessed on the Curbow "Rainbow" necks, and Roscoe's colored fretless fingerboards. It is also available made with bird's eye maple, which Roscoe offers on his fretlessi.

I seriously doubt that WT-40 would harm the stuff, it was originally designed during WWII as material for use in airplane wings as spars when metals became difficult to acquire.

Now, using Jergens on the morningwood...

:eek:

:D

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    heck, my WHOLE curbow is made from the stuff :D except for the hardware, elex and the corian nut

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The fingerboard on my fretless Zon feels and sounds much like fine ebony. But the bonus is that I can play stainless steel roundwounds and slap the heck out of them, and barely scratch the fingerboard. That is how tough phenowood is.

12. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    Sweet. I'll put it on my list.
    is it expensive? in comparison with ebony, rosewood, maple etc.

13. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  14. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I've been using WD-40 on my Zon for years. That is what was reccomended in the little book that came with it.

15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  16. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    that's not what Joe uses.

he uses Pakka.

f

17. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    Any report on the results of using the Windex and WD-40? I just changed strigns on my fretless Zon the other night and didn't use anything on the fingerboard because I figured the lemon oil I ususally use would have little effect on the Phenowood. I'm curious to hear about the effects of the WD-40.

18. I've been using Break Free, a thin, fine lubricant for fire arms on my Zon's for many years. Works very well to keep them from drying out, cleans off the crud and is non-sticky with no residue.

Use just a drop of WD or whatever you choose per fret area. That's all you need. don't soak it.