1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Zon bass, swop out the barts for nords?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ehque, Apr 22, 2006.

1. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    would swopping out the barts in my zon sonus for nords make any sense - i know its all about what i hear, and there are no absolute "better" or "worse" pickups at this level but -

i met the nord dealer for my country a while back, and he gave me quite a good price. i'll be using the dual coils if i actually do get them.

what differences can i expect to hear, and is this recommended at all? are the barts in zon custom wound for zon basses, or are they stock?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Most of the Bartolini pickups in Zons are wound to Zon's specs for specific basses (at least that's what they say ;)) so the pickups in your Zon are probably designed to be there. Do you not like the current sound that it has?

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    haha. im ok with the sound. i also know that it isnt the ultimate sound, having heard the 36" fodera B. the guy who sold me my zon took it out for a show-and-tell.

to tell the truth, i like the sound of my zon. the barts arent the dark sounding things ive heard people say they are (tho ive had experiences with dark sounding barts), maybe cos of the graphite, and i like the solo bridge a lot. but it isnt perfect, and i know it isnt.

what do nord dual coils sound like?

4. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    My recommedation:
    First, put in a 3 band Bart pre...it'll give you much more punch with the mid control. I'd also recommend swapping out the pickups with Carey's NJSE pickups, and drop some wood covers over them, since the route for the X4s is very different that the routes for the dual coils. THG or Carey can make some covers for them. I did this in an R Bass, and it made ALL the difference!

5. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    The 9J1 Bart's are dark when played passively as compared to regular J pickups. I do not know about Active Bart setups or other Bart pickups.

6. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Any update on the Nordies? If you get them I'd really like to read your review!

7. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    im still looking around for more info.

the nords are nearly 300 bucks for a pair and im still waiting for info about 6 string nords (which the website says as "coming soon"). im also not sure about how ill use the barts when i switch them out. if they are custom wound im not sure i can sell them at all.

i also have to drill holes in my zon to install the coil-split switch, something im really really apprehensive of doing, considering that if i actually do this there's no turning back, barts or no barts in hand.

ill let it brew for a few months.

8. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Is that really necessary? Couldn't you just put a pull-switch knob in somewhere instead?

9. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    my zon's a 94. controls are vol/vol, bass/treb. i havent seen stacked + push pull pots anywhere ever... but i might be wrong.

but then again, i dont need the coil taps anymore. the dealer thot i had soapbars, i have JJ routs, so there's no place to put a coil splitting anything.

im waiting out. right now nordie J6s are custom orders.

anyone know if, when a J is split coil in the middle like a P (like the humbucking nordie Js) it will growl like a P? because thats like the last sound that i want.