Zon bass types : What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by osciphex, Dec 20, 2003.

1. osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    Not that I anywhere near the amount of cash necessary to purchase one of these, but I noticed that at least on the Zon website they seem to offer four different kinds of Sonus models: Standard, Special, Custom, and Studio. Anyone know what the differences are between all these?
  2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, I know that the Sonus has "J" type p-ups and a 2 band pre, and it's 34'scale. The Custom has Bart soapbars and the Zon 3 band eq, and a 34'scale. The 519 has "J" type p-ups, 3 band eq, and a 35'scale. The studio has Bart soapbars of some kind, a 35'scale, and a more elaborate preamp. I can't remember about the Special, but I hope this is at least a start.
  3. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Zon's website describes the different models fairly well. www.zonguitars.com. Anyway, the Sonus models have linear coil j pickups, sonus 519 is 35" scale, custom has the soapbars as mentioned, 4/1 and 5/1 have a single duncan dual coil pickup (probably similar to MM sound), the Special has multi coil bartolinis with the neck one moved back towards the bridge more and a preamp designed to bring out low-mids, creating a bass that cuts through well, also wonderful for fretless. Hope i covered them all.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Josh, I think that you may have misspoken here, the part in red.

The Sonus Special has two J looking, multi coil pickups. The neck pickup is moved closer to the bridge than the Sonus. There is no model called the Sonus Standard, it is just the Sonus. And the base Sonus does not include a Bubinga top for the normal list price, while the Sonus Special does.

I prefer the Custom as well. Best fretless I have ever played.
  5. embellisher

Besides other differences listed in the previous posts, the 519 also has 19mm bridge spacing. Other Sonus 5 and 6 models have 17mm spacing.

The Sonus Studio 5 has a separate 2 band EQ for each pickup.

There is also the Sonus 4/2 and 5/2, which are similar to the 4/1 and 5/1, except they have 2 Duncan humbuckers instead of one. The neck pickups are a P split coil configuration, while the bridge pickup is configured similar to a Stingray. They also have a three band preamp. The pot for the mids is located inside the control cavity, just like on the Custom. The 5/1 and 5/2 have a 35" scale.

Last but not least, there is the Sonus Lightwave. It does not have magentic pickups. It has an optical pickup manufactured by Lightwave Systems.
  6. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Ain't nothing like the ol' Sonus (standard). I like the 34" scale and simple controls. The J's sound more alive and growly to me and the soaps more modern. The 34" scale sounds great on the B string. In fact I had to choose between a 35" Sonus 5/2 and a standard 5 and I chose the standard. Something about the comfort of 34" and the GROWLLL.....

Now if I could only get this sexy finish:
  7. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    :eek: wow !!

that looks amazing !!!
  8. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    A Zon Sonus was my first high end bass and all my customs since then have been designed to emulate that instrument.
  9. embellisher

You can if you pay the upcharge for an exotic top.
  10. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Do any Zon basses have truss rods?
  11. embellisher

None of the USA models do. The Tributes do, but they don't have composite necks.

That is the one thing that I don't like about my Sonus Custom. I can't adjust the relief. It has the perfect amount for a fretted(for me), but I like a flat fingerboard on a fretless. But the bass is so perfect(other than that) that I can live without a truss rod.
  12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    tribute zons?
    made over seas? where can you get them?