Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FuegodeX, Jan 28, 2001.

1. FuegodeX

FuegodeX

Sep 16, 2000
    anybody play a zon bass? im looking into buying a new bass and a zon sonus 4 is looking good. Has anybody ever played this bass and has a review? does anybody know of websites that sell them?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    All I have to say is: If you feel like getting a Zon, go for it! My Sonus 4 is very lightweight, has the most comfortable neck I've ever played and a sound that's just beautiful.

Instead of reviewing the bass, I'd rather answer specific questions, though.

Will C.:cool:

3. FuegodeX

FuegodeX

Sep 16, 2000
    how about where u got it? how much? what special options do u have?(different pickups, neck-through, etc.)doesnt the sonus 4 have j bass bartolinis?

4. FuegodeX

FuegodeX

Sep 16, 2000
    by the way(forgot to ask) how does it slap?pop(these are my main concerns)?tap?how much sound does it pack (highs,lows,mids)
    thanks

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I got it from a friend with whom I traded a PBC 6-string. I think we both ended up winning on this one.

My Sonus is an early one, with two stacked knobs, one for neck/bridge pickup volume, the other one for active bass/treble boost/cut.

My sonus is transparent red. I guess that makes it a custom, as opposed to the solid colored ones. It has two Bart J inspired pickups and a sound to match. I slap on it like there's no tomorrow. It's that funky.

Sonus basses are bolt-ons exclusively. No neck throughs.

Will C.:cool:

6. I have been playing Zons for a couple of years. Have owned 3: 5 string Sonus Custom fretted, 5 string Sonus Custom fretless w/piezo and a 5 string custom built Lightwave fretless. I think they are fine instruments with great tonal options. You also get good customer service from Zon.

You should try and play a few. The neck is different from many other tradional basses. You may or may not like it. However, if you like the design and tone of the instrument, I don't think you could go wrong with the Zon brand.