Zon basses - is everything OK ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rumblefisher, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Yup. Killer tone. Just wish I spec'd my Conklin to not be 12lbs.

Apolicious likes this.
  2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    They are two very, very different situations.
    Huff has delivered about 1 of 20 fully-paid-for basses with most orders outstanding between 10-20 years.
    Zon has delivered most of their orders more or less on time (e.g. within a few months of original date) over that time, with 3 talkbass members having orders that are long (years) overdue.

My Zon doesn't magically transform me, but it is a great bass and works for me. I have had zero GAS to replace it or even try something as "another great fretless" since I got it in 2011. It also arrived was completed very much on time.

Would I order another Zon? I have no need to. But I wonder about it, too, based on what I've seen with the users here. If I did I would, as part of the order process, talk frankly with Joe about my concerns about delivery date slippage. I also would only pay deposit and would pay the rest on completion.

3. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Giving money to Zon does appear to come with some risk based on their current trajectory. Giving money to Huff, even if his orders are miraculously delivered, would be borderline insanity.

4. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Agreed, different situations for sure!

Rumblefisher likes this.
  5. basschanges

basschanges Unconditionally Loving Member Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Agreed. I'll start to change my mind if Joe starts a yo-yo business on the side, but as of now there's little similarity. This guy has been making and delivering top notch, cutting edge basses for 4 decades, and clearly has encountered some recent troubles.

6. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Got a message last night from the head sales manager...they've been swamped this past week and will discuss my bass by the weekend (considering today is Friday I think he probably meant he'll know more after the weekend is over). Let's see...fingers crossed they can stick to his word about accommodating my request. I really hope so, it would be a bitter pill for me as if they won't do it...especially after the initial yes and that I really don't play full scale anymore.

31HZ and Rabidhamster like this.
  7. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Glad to hear that they reached out. That's a positive thing.
    I'm as big a Zon supporter as they come, but I think "bitter pill" is a major understatement and "seriously messed up" a better descriptor. Still better descriptors would violate our no-swearing policy...
    I hope they make it right.

8. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Port Allen, La
    Hate to hear this. Joe was always a little bad about getting builds out, but what is going on with a few of you guys is borderline unethical/criminal. Sad to see, because I love his work. I’ve had somewhere around 20 of his basses, and have one currently, but I would never commission a new build from him. This coming from a guy who did new builds with Warrior!! LOL! Which hit a few snags, but never anything close to what I’m reading here.

wmmj, Vic and Garret Graves like this.
  9. I was considering a custom Zon build down the line, but I wouldn't want to wait multiple years for it. TBF, the specs wouldn't be crazy, or anything.

10. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Rumblefisher likes this.
  11. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    Without knowing really anything about being a luthier/running a shop/building high-end basses, I'm still going to say that there's no way I'd consider it acceptable to wait years for a bass to be finished/delivered. A year, sure, I guess...maybe even a year-and-a-half, depending on extenuating circumstances...but years, plural? Nope. o_O :rollno:

12. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Years plural is standard for many high end custom basses. Try ordering a Wal or Fodera.
    You're totally within your rights to not want to deal with that - but it is part of the deal with certain high end basses where demand is higher than production rate.

13. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    That's good info. I have neither the need nor the funds for a high-end custom bass, and it's just as well, because I certainly wouldn't have the patience for the wait times involved. :facepalm:

Jeff Scott and kesslari like this.
  14. JuanB

JuanB

Feb 20, 2010
    I don't think that the wait for a Fodera is much over a year. They really do well with their production scheduling and they have the manpower to get the work done in a timely manner. I think their shop is quite a bit bigger than Mr. Zon's.

FrenchBassQC, wmmj and Obese Chess like this.
  15. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    One thing is to place an order and the shop saying "it will take 2 years". And you decide if you want to wait or not. After 2 years, you have your bass.

Another thing is to place an order and the shop saying "it will take 2 years". You decide you'll wait 2 years, but 5 years later you still don't have a bass.

16. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I got some encouraging news from the shop, fingers crossed. I honestly think this thread helped. I’ll keep you guys posted if things firm up!

17. Jefus

Jefus

Feb 23, 2008
    Sacramento now...
    I actually have an appointment to speak with Joe Zon on Wednesday about a custom build. Nothing crazy except for different pickups and preamp, but everything else will likely come from their selection of models.

It really is an instrument that I'd need him to build. Or buy used Zons and hack them up. So I'll attempt to go the patient route as this will be my first custom build.

I'll report back after talking to him.

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  18. roswell1965

roswell1965

Mar 5, 2002
    Ask him if he's familiar with Dr. Bass.

Adam Wright likes this.
  19. Can you share the news? I'd hate to think you're being strung along some more.

20. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I'm glad for you. I haven't heard anything yet myself. It's been 2 weeks since the last message, which isn't long in the grand scheme of things. They *did* say they would know more after the weekend (two weeks ago), just waiting to hear what they came up with.

Garret Graves likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021