Zon basses - is everything OK ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rumblefisher, Jul 30, 2018.

1. JuanB

JuanB

Feb 20, 2010
    Ouch. Was this recently?

2. mrgittleman

mrgittleman

Dec 23, 2003
    NYC
    If you mean within the last three years yes

3. Perhaps he's paying rent on the same vacant lot that Dr. Bass occupies?

Stingray5 likes this.
  4. slagheap

slagheap Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2011
    i wouldn't go near them. EVER.

5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    does that build sheet also mention anything about lead times? Ugh. You don’t refund a deposit because you’re legally bound to do so, you do it because you took their money, quoted someone x timeframe and it’s now 3+x.

PMagers and Stingray5 like this.
  6. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I wonder what their personnel looks like these days. Mark Gullo was Joe’s right hand man and did a ton of the work for many years and he left the shop a while back.

7. JuanB

JuanB

Feb 20, 2010
    I'm curious as well. It might just be a one man shop at this point. Does Martin do any hands-on work?

gebass6 likes this.
  8. mrgittleman

mrgittleman

Dec 23, 2003
    NYC
    It’s 5.5+x. If Joe had just leveled with me I would have more tolerance for situation but there of been so many lies it makes me very concerned that I will never see my instrument. There is nothing in the build sheet about when the instrument will be completed. I have posted my build sheet in the Zon club pt 5 thread sometime in late 2019 when there were all the issues happening with Dave (@maidenbass).

9. Jefus

Jefus I..um...yeah...about that... Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Sacramento now...
    When I was there back in June there were several people working. I didn't go into the shop and get a head count, but I'm pretty sure I saw at least 4 faces, including Joe's.

31HZ likes this.
  10. This applies to potential customers cruising the NAMM show as well..

RodRy likes this.
  11. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    And to this point, whether you are a nice person or a jerk is really secondary as long as you are communicating openly and honestly about your transactions with customers. Ken Smith is a great example, very un personable, but I’ve never heard of anybody accusing him of being sketchy or intentionally misleading about his transactions

12. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    That being said, there are a handful of companies that I will refuse to buy from, based solely on my experiences in dealing with them at Namm. Haha

wellso74 likes this.
  13. basschanges

basschanges Unconditionally Loving Member Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Mine definitely did, although there is also a clause that absolves them of almost any delay.

5B082514-50F6-4E55-B4C0-5224E88AA962.png

14. mrgittleman

mrgittleman

Dec 23, 2003
    NYC
    Thanks so much for posting. I know that your interaction with the shop was less than great. Any advice to those of us trapped in purgatory. Thanks again for letting us know we are not alone.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  15. Can you name them?

16. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    not here, wouldn’t really be appropriate or on topic. Suffice to say, my relationship with/desire to support someone’s business is really important for me in terms of getting behind their equipment. There’s just too many great products out there made by great people

17. basschanges

Jun 20, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    At times I thought it might be personal somehow, like I wasn't enough of a 'player' to be prioritized (he debuted the Zemi Acoustic around the time this was happening)...but it's most likely all about money issues. If you have any reasonable financial leverage, use it. It sounds like you have tried all other means of communication.

Probably nothing you don't already know.

I think my threat to issue a chargeback had the biggest effect out of everything I did.

If he tells you stories about his suppliers, check the stories with the suppliers. Tell them if need be what he's saying about them.

Just an idea: send a completely sincere Christmas basket/spread to the office? A personalized sincere card saying that while you understand there have been hiccups through the build, you wish them success through these difficult times. Besides for the additional lost ~150 bucks, it may be worth it to get *anything* through to them.

Goatrope, RodRy, 31HZ and 2 others like this.
  18. iTzPrime

iTzPrime

May 30, 2016
    Wait you ordered in 2014 and still didn't got your bass? Might be a small claims case. Just because you have a clause doesn't help if you don't deliver the order.

19. basschanges

Jun 20, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I received my orders in 2017

iTzPrime and RodRy like this.
  20. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Joe Z. helped me many times over the phone. Couldn't be more friendly & helpful of a guy. I'm glad to see my testimonial on his website 26 years later. Great company :)

RodRy likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2021