1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zon basses

Discussion in 'Ask Ray Riendeau' started by bobunit, Oct 2, 2008.

1. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    Hello,
    So I was wondering the other day why you chose the Zon Mosaic Pro? Zon has always been known as a builder utilizing graphite necks and yet you chose a Zon with a wood neck. Why? Given the nature of graphite and your playing style (which by the way is amazing) I would think graphite would be a better choice. Just curious.:D

2. rayriendeau

rayriendeau

Mar 19, 2007
    Arizona, USA
    I used graphite neck basses for a number of years when they first came out. I love that they are low/no maintenance and still dig the tone for some things.
    At some point I started missing some tones you can only get from wood necks. The warmth and the organic natures of wood. I went back to my original favorite wood neck basses, Fender. After a few years of that I decided I wanted something more custom to fit my specific want/needs.
    Still wanting a wood neck, a friend told me Joe was making the Mosaic series that had wood necks.
    I met Joe years ago and always respected his work and vision regarding basses. After speaking with him and checking out the Mosaic I knew that it was the bass for me. I also love the fact that Joe is willing to make the bass I want without any limits.
    The bass Joe is currently working on for me is a 5 string Mosaic, 32" scale, piccolo bass.....I can't wait to get my hands on it!!!!