Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

zon basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Nov 24, 2002.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    does anyone own one? i am saving the money for one and i really like the sound they give. but are they writh it. what models do you suggest? any info would help.

2. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    I think you probably want to ask yourself what you want to do with it once you buy it. They have an neat, distinctive sound but if you aren't planning on say, becoming a professional musician in the near future, there's probably a bass out there you'd be just as happy with that costs half as much.

Granted I've never actually played one.. and admittedly they look awesome... But the 2000 dollar minimum price tag on them scares me off...

I'm just a hobbyist myself; I think I'll end up saving up for a stingray or something else instead...

3. Bradbass

Bradbass Guest

Nov 24, 2002
    Sacto, California
    I am currently shopping for a new bass also, prefferably Zon. I played a Sonus 5 and 6 string and quite honestly nothing else matched up in my opinion. I also had the opportunity to watch and meet Michael Manring play his Zons....simply amazing. Just as osciphex said, if you're going pro then I would definitley keep saving until it's affordable. I'm having a hard time justifying the cost myself, but after 3 hrs of playing them against others in the price and quality range, it was the winner hands down. Others that are definitely less expensive I weould consider for playability and sound are Schecter Stilleto series or Ibanez Soundgear. Less than half the price and have lots of bang for the buck, especially the Schecter...who'd of known?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I just got a Zon Sonus 5 about a month ago. Certainly a high-quality bass. The tone is a bit, uhhh, sterile (sorry Gard), most likely due to the composite neck and pheno-wood (impregnated) fretboard. I like that though ... "clean and modern" would be another way to put it. In my opinion, the construction, fit and finish are not quite up to par with Lakland. The Laklands definitely get a warmer, more woody tone.

I gigged the Zon last night at a small private party. I went straight to the board, and patched half of my Aphex 204 to the bass channel insert. I used just the big bottom part of the insert half, and used only the aural exciter of the other half on the main mix. It sounded great.

My only beef with it is that it's a bit of a neck diver.

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Yea, I could imagine that the price could be scary. But I really dig the sound. The neck doesn't (or shouldn't) have any dead spots right?

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I wouldn't buy one at regular price. I got it on a GC blowout.

Oh yeah. NO dead spots.

7. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    I've generally only heard positive things about the Zon necks. Dead spots don't seem to be a problem for all those ultra high end basses...

One small detail though, if you ever have a real problem with the neck you'll have to send it back to the company.. I wouldn't trust some guitar shop guy with a weird graphite neck like that...