Zon custom options?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trev, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Here's a question for the Zon guys here (or anyone who would know) - Would Joe make a one off 35" scale 4 string, or would that be out of the question? I know he does custom work (and one-offs) but does that extend to necks as well? I'm not too familiar with the way they make their graphite necks but I do remember reading something once about Moses necks being 'moulded'.

If Zon's graphite necks are made the same way, does this mean they have to build a completely new mold to make a 35" 4-string neck (in which case would, I'm guessing, cost an insane amount of money if they would do it at all)? I would love to have a 35" 4-string Sonus so that I could experiment with lower tunings whilst still having that extra bit of tension.

I have a Sonus Custom 4 on order - the wait is killing me!!

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Obviously you'd have to talk to the folks at Zon, but I would think they could make a 35" scale 4 the same way they got the 35" scale on the Sonus 5/1, which is to use the same neck they'd use on a 34" scale bass but slot the fretboard for 22 frets instead of 24 and shift the bridge back an inch to compensate...

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'd call or email Joe and ask him, but my guess is that it wouldn't be a problem at all. Joe will do custom stuff, you just have to pay for it.
  4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Since Zon is a custom shop, just about anything goes. (For a price.)
  5. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    My guess would be no, because like you mentioned, the necks are moulded, and it would require a new mould. Same reason a lot of guys have wanted a wide 6 like a 619 but there isn't one. I'd still mention it to Joe though, maybe if he gets enough requests for it he might be motivated to do it. He's pretty willing to do custom stuff, and very easy to work with, but within reason - a new neck mould for a couple basses wouldn't justify the cost. Congrats on the Sonus Custom 4 though, that will be an awesome bass!