Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon cutting through the mix????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Why is it that most players I've talked to tell me that Zon's really cut through the mix and are incredibly tough to overshadow, compared to say a Warwick Thumb which I own. I'm asking since I've never played a Zon and I currently own a Thumb but feel it may not cut through as much as I like, although it might be my preamp(I'm happier with my thumb than any other bass I've ever played).:p

2. I have a Lakland that also cuts through the mix exceptionally well - I think in my case the reason is that bartolini preamps have a bit of a midrange bump that makes it easier to cut through. Zons don't have bart preamps (unless you order them that way) but maybe they have similar eq settings.

allan

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    In my experience, any decent bass that provided you with a good foundation to base your tone on can be made to cut through the mix. The more versitale the sound, the easier it is to get there. Mids are key though, to often people do the smiley face with the eq and wonder why they can't be heard.

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    The composite neck may have something to do with it also....I've owned one Zon and several Modulus (Modulii?), and they all had this ability to cut through a dense mix very well.

5. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well I find that the Thumb line tends to be very midrangy so I've been doing a kind of smiley face design, that might have a lot to do with it. Would you recommend a Zon over a Thumb though just in the tone area of cutting through?:confused:

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hmmm interesting. I have two Warwicks and have never had a problem being either buried in the mix, or causing a tonal problem. One thing to remember your sound is as much in your fingers as it is in whatever brand of wood you have strapped on at the time.

7. Zons do well cutting through. Faith No More is a great example. I'm not familiar with the Lakland's recording ability so I won't comment on them.

Other basses that from my experience cut through the mix and record excellently are the Spector NS, Modulus Quantum, Jackson Concert Customs built in the 80's (no kidding) and the Pedulla Thunderbass.

Perhaps if you swap out the preamp for an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp, an EMG BTS preamp or a Bartolini active preamp system that specializes in accentuating mid requencies, that might do the trick for you.

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my old thumb and my new SSII both cut through the mix VERY well. the trick is starting out with the EQ on everything flat, then adding only what you need to be felt/heard. smiley face EQ's won't cut through, the lows end up sounding muddy and the highs are lost within the guitar.

warwicks have pretty pronounced low mids all by themselves, just let it do the work :)

jason

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The automatic smiley face may be the shortest distance to "buried".

My Zon fretless cuts through extremely well but so does every other bass I own... that's why I keep them. Lots of basses sound good alone.

Nothing I own cuts through any better than my MIA JD5's.

10. As a Zon owner, I don't think there's anything magical about them - they are just a very well designed and constructed instrument. My Sadowsky with it's wooden neck cuts thru better and is more articulate than my fretted Sonus Custom thru my amp and speakers with my settings played by my hands. I would bet in someone else's system the Zon would do just fine.

I would think most if not all well designed/made basses would cut thru if EQ'd and played correctly.

Jeff

11. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    As far as Zon's NOT having Bart electronics, this is simply not true. My 5/1 came with Bart electronics. I am looking into changing the pickup and electronics to EMG's which are my preference, to me the EMG's are the way to go to truly stand out in the mix...

12. What I said was Zons don't come with bart preamps. You can have a bartolini preamp installed in a Zon, but their standard preamps are made by Polyfusion.

Maybe they used to come with bart preamps - but they don't anymore.

allan

13. That's why I prefer semi-parametric EQ. Cuz ain't no smiling goin' on out 'round here!

Besides, too much of any EQing is a like awaiting for the devil...

14. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Ok, both of my 5/1's came with Bartolini preamp's, but they are/were older models(1997), do 5/1's not come with Bart preamps anymore? And do you have any information about these Polyfusion electronics/preamp?

15. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Phog,
    Joe says that the polyfusion is much more hifi..I think you might want to check them out since thats what EMG's are usually slated as..he describes the bartolinis as warmer and darker, or at least he did on the phone with me.

the newer 5/1's do come with a bart preamp, but you could opt to get a polyfusion installed instead.

-neal

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    AFAIK some Zon models come with the Polyfusion, some come with Bartolini. I have a Polyfusion in my Legacy Standard fretless 5 and the thing I really like about it is that it sounds musical even at the extremes of the 3 band EQ (internal Mid control... I set it back around 1997). I typically run mine with the bass maxed, treble flat, mids wherever I have it and the bridge pickup soloed.

17. That's the first mistake I've made since breakfast.

Cruise was right, I was not right. I'll go back to my corner now...

allan

18. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    what does "cuttin through the mix" mean?:confused:

19. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    it means, from how I understand it anyways..is not getting "buried" (IE: not being heard at all!) by drums, guitars, horns, glockenspiels, whatever. Basically being heard and projecting your sound to the people to dance to :)

Neal

20. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i always cut through the mix by pumping up my amp up,cuz my guitarist has a dinky 15-watter:p

whats a glockenspiel?