Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon Headless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jonathan Starr, Jun 22, 2003.

1. I stopped by Joe Zon's place in Redwood City last week and got the 50 cent tour. I loved checking out the way his necks are really very strong, mostly hollow tubes, even the headstock is mostly hollow. Of course they are brilliantly engineered and incredibly strong.

I thought his headless basses were really cool. I may have him build me one for travel. It will fit in my duffel wrapped in clothes.

Does anyone have experience with a VB 4 or 5?

Aloha,

Jonathan

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    A friend of mine has a headless Zon. As much as I don't like headless basses, that puppy was sweet. One of the best playing and sounding Zons I've come across.

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'd like to know more about that bass as well. How much are they selling for? How long is it, and how much does it weigh? If the price is reasonable, I'd get one for travelling as well.

4. one_skunk

one_skunk

Apr 30, 2001
    florida
    i have a vb-4 flammed red wood top 34 inch scale,sorry never weighed it.
    i love this bass dont know why i dont see more of them around here.
    cheapest composite neck bass i have seen ZON PRODUCE.
    SORRY STILL HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO POST PICS
    there is a great review of this bass in the review section at bassically.net

5. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Just read the review on bassicly.net, and it was very informative. It defintley has grabbed my attention. I think I'll take a trip to the shop and check one out.

6. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I have an appointment to meet with Joe Zon on Wednesday to check these basses out. I'll give you my full report.

7. I would love to hear how you feel about them, after some playing time.

I'm pretty close to ordering a fretless 4 with some kind of nice top and black hardware.

The pricing seems very fair. I noodled on one for about 10 minutes while waiting for Joe to get off the phone, but I had to run to catch a plane so I never plugged it in. Unplugged it sounded very live.

Good luck,

Jonathan

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Joe's in Redwood City?

I'm there. Someday.

9. is it just me or do headless basses seem unapealing to you guys too? the head of the neck can be beautiful and to just cut off the bass right there doesnt seem artistic in any way....

10. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, I kind of think of the headless as more of a form of function rather than an artistic display. To me, this would be a great travel bass, and who knows, maybe just a great bass period. I don't think the fact that it's headless will deter me from buying it, and in fact I think I'm drawn more to it because you see so few of them around.

11. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    anyone have any pics?

I presonally love the headstock shape of Zons...but headless is always cool. I wish I could have access to it....or ANY Zon for that matter to try out.

12. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Man those look interesting. I wonder if they have the same wierd feel as a Steinberger does.

13. OH, headless Zon basses - what a relief! ;)

For a second I thought Joe had a serious problem .... :D

14. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    zons?

doesn't he buy his necks from Warmoth?

f

15. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    QUOTE]Originally posted by fhodshon
    zons?

doesn't he buy his necks from Warmoth?

f
    [/QUOTE]Hey F, did you forget the :p ;)'s with that statement?[

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey F, did you forget the :p ;)'s with that statement?[ [/QUOTE]

Doesn't need one.

And no Fred, but he did purchase parts from them in the 80s.

17. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    oops...damn:oops: . Oh well I had a feeling he might not have been. Learn something new everyday. What exactly was he getting from Warmoth? Could'nt be necks, could it? :confused:

18. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    ok ok, i should have added the :D ;) :rolleyes: thingies.

i was KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

especially since he is known for composite necks, and Warmoth supplies no such product.

sorry for the confusion.

'twas a JOKE!

f

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So was mine, same topic too, I imagine.

20. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I went to his webpage, but didn't see the headless basses. Links, anyone? I need to feed my headless fetish.