1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zon headstock finish repair

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ialma, May 19, 2011.

1. ialma

ialma Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    24nf95s.

9vlcme.

As you can see (pretty common issue in Zon basses) heastock finish smashes to bits when hit.
    Is there any kind of possible way to repair it without refinishing the whole headstock ?
    Thank you

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Maybe CA dropped into the opening would wick it's way outward and fill in the air gap between the layers. Has anyone tried this?

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Send it to Joe.

And I've had several Zons over the years (I own 3 now) - I've never had this sort of damage.

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    The impact being violent enough to have the contact point go through the paint to the wood is pretty severe. I believe Zon uses polyester finish so there is no easy way to fix this, it will need to be done by a professional.

This is common to careless care of a bass, other than the impact area the finish is fine, no shattering to bits. This is common to all instruments that take an impact at a thick finish point, I see it almost everyday.

5. ialma

ialma Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    Disclaimer : I bought both basses already damaged.
    I hope I will neve cause such damage to an instrument.
    I think both fell facefront, the four strings on a sharp corner (damage under the D tuner and the G string) and the five strings hit ong G string (mismatch tuner as well).
    Any idea if the refinish will be expensive ?
    Thank you

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    9 times out of 10, super thin ZAP CA will wick into the air gap. it may not look perfect, but it'll be almost unnoticeable. and on poly, any excess can be wiped off with acetone.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It's really common for Zons to get dings on the corners of the headstock. Mine don't have any (yet), but you see it all the time because that corner results in a lot of pressure on the finish.

The dings on the face of the headstock are pretty bad, though.

If you want to refinish the headstock, you'll need to refinish the whole neck.

8. sleeping buddha

sleeping buddha

Jul 12, 2007
    Endorsed by Welch basses
    I would also recommend wicking some thin ca. As stated before, it will not look perfect but it will look better and keep it from getting any worse. Once polyester de-laminates like that it can continue to run. Good luck.