Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon Hyperbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hiphopbassist, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Whaddup Everybody:

Know there's lot's of Zon users on this board. Have any of you ever:

A. played a Hyperbass?
    B. owned a Hyperbass?
    C. know any dealer that actually carries a Hyperbass that could be tried?

I'm primarily interested in the Type I version, not the one Michael Manring plays with the gazillion different adjustments.

Thanks in advance and peace

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    & I'll be watching over your shoulder here... that model really intrigues me.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Never seen one in person. Looks like the ultimate 4 string fretless. But it wouldn't be for me, I don't even have enough technique for a two octave fingerboard, let alone three!:eek:

If I had money to burn though, it would be a fun bass to own.

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hey H.H.B....
    I have one and play one.. However it's the actual "signature" model with all the bells and whistles on it... What exactly are you wanting to know??

As far as dealers??? Hmmm maybe a store that deals Zon could special order you one... I doubt they would have one just hanging around...

5. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    cruise4
    The pups are UNGODLY!!! Through my Trace rig....

UUUNNNNNHHHHH!!!!!!!!! SWEEEEEEEET!!!

6. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    One thing I will go ahead and say about this bass is that I will NEVER use it to its full potential.. There are so many tuning variations that I wouldn't know where to begin.. Perhaps if I were from the same DIMENSION that M. Manring's from perhaps...

My particular model has a poplar body with a California Walnut top that I was told by Joe Zon is a "one-of-a-kind" model. Flame maple is all that's normally used. However, this was a special order and Joe built it to their requests... Also this bass has a shorter 32" scale. It it FAST!!! The bass is loud and resonant even unplugged.. Plugged in the Bart MM style pup gives me pretty much any tone I want.. From Jaco Jazz bass.. to full blown Manring distortion! Personally I probably would have gone with a Read; who makes a bass very similar to this without the detunable bridge and keys. However this one was such a great deal that I couldn't pass it up...

G.A.S. STRIKES AGAIN!!!!

7. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    There may be piezos on some... This particular model doesn't have them. I guess the individual who it was built for either didn't want them, or piezos were not an option at that time... I think he said this was a '92 model

8. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Here's Read's version of the bass... Very similar.. Single Bart. MM style pup... 3 octave f/less neck.. extended cut-away on lower horn.. Very nice bass!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    On all the pictures of Hyperbasses that I've seen, it appears to have a wider string spacing between the D and A strings (wider than it has between the G and D, and wider than it has between the A and E).
    Is this just an optical illusion or is it really wider between the D and A strings, and if so then what is the reason for this?

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've always liked that Read model, and I've got an FBB designed by Matt Schmill, who is Read-inspired, I believe... strange things happening w/ that fingerboard tho...Looks like it switches to ebony halfway down? interesting.

You've got to bring the Hyperbass if you come to our Bass Summit! We really need a ZOnner at this one! Maybe your BB75 wants to meet mine too...
    Hope it works out.
    Thanks for the input!
    m

11. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Man, I'll do my best to get there!! Yeah our Carvins will get together and we'll have a bunch of little B-5's runnin around!!

12. dont know much about the hyperbass but I have talked to jack read(really nice guy if you ever get the chance) about his similar bass.

The bass pictured goes for $2895.

The base price for the extended range fretless is $2050. this includes the
    extended cutaway body (mahogany, alder or Spanish cedar) and 32 position fingerboard, and Bartolini MM pickup with passive tone. It also includes a top of flamed maple, zebrawood, bubinga, and i believe that you can get other tops also. there are a whole bunch of upgrades though.

Best bet would be to drop him an email at jread@readcustom.com.

I am acutally in the process of gathering funds together to put a down payment on one. the specs i have worked out with him are:
    -kingwood fretboard, nut and center section
    -spainish ceder body with flamed maple top and headstock cap
    -black hardware(considering rosewood knobs)
    -coil switch for the bart mm pickup
    -graphite reinforcements

I am also considering getting it headless too. decisions decisions

hope this helped, nate

13. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    That's a VERY good price for that bass!!!

May sell mine and get one of those... Aside from the E string D-tuner, I really don't use the others that much...

14. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    So what's up, nobody else here can see the wider string spacing between the 2nd and 3rd string that I recently mentioned?
    What's the purpose of it?
    I think I'd like to have all the strings spaced the same..

15. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Dont think I've ever noticed that... Doesn't feel different when I plat it.. I'll get it out tonight and measure it and get back with you...

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I must admit, on closer inspection I see what you're talking about with the strings...never noticed it before. I guess it could be a perspective-based illusion, but in every pic I could find of different hyperbasses, there does appear to be wider spacing between the A & D than the others.
    Either it's a function of the bridge alignment, or just a photographic illusion...
    guess it's up to you to settle it, Mark.

17. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    OK! The test results are in and it is true that the spacing between the A and D strings is wider than the others by 9/32nd's...

E & A string spacing = 23/32nd's**

A & D string spacing = 1 inch**

D & G string spacing = 23/32nd's**

So, congratulations to the "eagle eye's" of Mr. zombywoof5050!!!!

Will try to get with Joe (Zon) and inquire about this.. Will post when I get a response..

** Please note that all measurements are approximate. I don't have a micrometer readily available so I was using a machinist's ruler and trying to get as exact as possible**

18. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    well, the hyperbass was designed for michael manring... and I know he tends to use the upper strings for a treble line and the lower strings for a bass line. I'm assuming the string spacing is to reflect that division....

19. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    WOW!!!! :eek:

That is a beautiful bass!! I love Wals and wish I had one...... Something like that would be kinda neat to have!! Hate to see the price tag attached to that beauty!!

[​IMG]