1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zon Hyperbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hiphopbassist, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Well, it's not an answer to your question but I just wanted to share my experience with this bass.

I've had a chance to play Zon Hyperbass during my trip to Paris (instead of going to see Champs-Elysee for another time, I went to check music stores near Pigale, this was my gift :) )
    I've heard lots of thing about the bass but was thinking how could it be worth such a price...'till I played it...

Wohho! this bass is really special, I can't tell with other words, it' something out of this world (maybe I exagerate it but anyway) My mortal fingers :D were just flying over the fretboard. As I'm not used to play a fretless bass (but I played lute for a while which is a fretless instrument) I made lots of glissando and vibrato to have(find) right sounds and the bass played like a dream. None of the fretted basses (I try different basses in every occasion I may find) comes close to it. The action is super low and there is no string buzz. The strings were ultra thin for me and they were very easy to play. Don't remember the neck shape but was very comfortable for me to play. If I had enough money I'd buy this bass.

This is the first and only fretless bass I've ever played. It was like to begin driving car with a Ferrari :) .

I wish I don't encourage you for a wrong buy but I don't think that you'll be sorry for buying one, at least I wouldn't be :D

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I played one for a couple of days and found it pretty interesting, but in the end I just couldn't justify it.

It felt really 'tight' to me, like everything was too close together. The action is very low, and very close to the pickup, and the extended fingerboard doesn't allow much room for slapping or many other techniques/hand placement. Of course, this was just my experience. Obviously it works wonders for MM.

I just couldn't get used to the feel. It's my loss, as it is a very intriguing instrument. I wish I could have made it work- they are stunning!

Oops, missed your main question:
    I can't recall the neck profile exactly, but it was definitely one of those 'melts in your hand' type shapes, very very comfortable. Perfect neck in my opinion.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I guess I'm looking for the holy grail here.... and I don't care how much it costs at this point. But it's hard finding any high-end basses in New Orleans. Are there any basses that I may have played that are similar to the Hyperbass? Is it a pencil thin neck or has it got some meat to it? Flat radius or round? How does this bass balance on a strap (is it neck heavy?)? My poor Peavey B-Quad has just about had it, but it needs a worthy successor. Help a brother out!

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    You need to come over to one of our Bass Summits in Mobile. We get together a pretty eclectic assortment of instruments. That's the only way I got to play a hyperbass, a buddy from N AL brought it down.

I had a BQ4 too. What I ended up doing to realize my ultimate bass was to go the custom route and specify exactly what I wanted, that way I knew just what I'd be getting, and get just what I want and use.

And you get can 2 for the price of a hyperbass!

As far as trying out high-end stuff, I had to go all the way to Bass Central in Orlando to do that. Not much going on in the south, is there?

5. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again??

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Ahhhhhhhh...

The old Hyperbass!!! Yes, I do miss that "sweet thang" sometimes. But, I was never gonna use it to it's full potential so I don't feel too bad about letting it go. It was definitely an attention getter. But for me, it was overkill.... Kinda like going out and buying a Hummer...You know, I don't plan on going out and invading any small third world countries, so what's the point.

But, to answer your question... The neck had some meat to it. As I recall it had more of a "C" shape that reminded me of old Fender "P" basses... but not quite as chunky. Now I dont know if that was standard, or something that the original owner specifically wanted when it was built so I can't say with any certainty that they're all like that. The fretboard to the best of my memory was almost flat... It had very little curvature to it... VERY SLICK!!! No, there was no neck-dive at all.. The bass was perfectly balanced as would be expected from one with that hefty a price tag ( I was told by Joe Zon that it originally was about $8,000 in '92).

But, like I said, I realised I didn't have the "taters" to do it justice so I sold it.... I would echo what Xush suggested and look at some of the independent luthiers that are represented here.... I believe that you could get a comparable instrument for a fraction of the cost....

If I can help you anymore please feel free to PM or email me!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. tyjacks

tyjacks

Dec 23, 2002
    Memphis, TN.
    Can you use standard EADG tuning on this bass w/ light guage strings?

7. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again??

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Sure... I had no problem with it...

8. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Vero Beach, FL
    hey, to anyone that is interested, one has just popped up on bassgear.com for $2850.00. not a bad deal on a zon HB...this one comes with an upgraded mid control, a lined fingerboard and the non-detunable bridge.

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Not Impressed By Those Who Flaunt “Authority” Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    This thread smells of rotting flesh...