Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon Legacy Elite or Lakland 4-94??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by keoliphant, Jun 5, 2002.

1. keoliphant

keoliphant

Mar 11, 2002
    Portland, OR
    What do you all think? A Legacy Elite or a Lakland 4-94? Both are used and I can get the Lakland for about $500 cheaper.

Here's the tough part, I haven't ever played one of these basses, just read what everyone writes. I have been looking at buying either a Fender P or J basses or the MusicMan Stingray 4 with the piezo. I really like the playability and punch of the Stingray but am leary of being "stuck" with one sound.

What do you all think? Will these basses sound too modern for my likes? I play mostly classic rock, folk, and jazz.

Thanks!

2. Those are kind of "apples and oranges" basses. For what you've described as your needs, I'd probably recommend the Lakland, as it's really geared towards producing the "classic" bass sounds--not particularly "modern" at all.

With the graphite neck, the Zon is rather more "modern", but folks are certainly using them in a wide variety of settings, including all the ones you mentioned. You may well play one and love it, because they're great instruments, but it's going to be a bit more of a risk since it'll be rather different from what you're used to.

My $.02

Mike

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    U can never go wrong with a zon.. even though Zons have a graphite neck, i still think it has a "Wood" type tone! I own a Zon and I can tell you that much.. :)

DM

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    How much is the offer that you got for the Zon legacy? I want to get a Legacy so badly and Im trying to sell my Zon Sonus 5 Special for $1300 with case.

5. keoliphant

keoliphant

Mar 11, 2002
    Portland, OR
    DarkMazda,

He was asking $1800 for the Legacy Elite. Email me if you'd like his info!

ken_o@nishkian.com

6. keoliphant

keoliphant

Mar 11, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for your 2 cents Mike! I'm definately leaning towards the Lakland!

Ken