Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon Legacy Elite V w/Redwood Burl Top?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dreamwave, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Hi out there in TB land. I'm new here and need to post a question. I recently opened a recording studio(Dreamwave Recording) and bought the aformentioned Zon for use there. I did a lot of research on what bass to buy for the studio and since a friend owns two legacys, which I loved, bought one too. I am not an accomplished player yet and by now you're all probably scrathing your heads as to why I bought such a high end bass if I'm not that good. Well I've struggled quite painfully with recording basses that can't cut it in the studio so that was my main reason And I'll have a wonderful instrument to play for my own head. Anyways, enough boring history and on to the question. My Legacy V has a poplar body and redwood burl top(quite stunning aesthetically). What kind of tones should I expect and any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks-Dreamwave

2. Thanks for the reply cruise4. I have recorded with it and it certainly does record well. It seems very warm and a beast when slapped. Not a good slapper though. Like I said, I really don't consider myself a bassist yet but with 20 yaers of classical piano training, 10 years of playing drums, and a sound recording and music theory degree, I think I'll make good progress quickly(with lots of practice of course!!!)

3. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Hello Dreamwave & welcome to Talkbass!

Is this a private studio for your own use, or are you selling studio time. If you're selling time, you may need to invest in a few "classics" like a Fender Precision Bass, Jazz bass and maybe a Rickenbacker as well.

4. Hi Dreamwave,

You made a wise purchase. I own 2 Zons and love them both. If your Legacy is like mine, it has the Polyfusion electronics, with the treble and bass control below the pickups and a midrange pot in the cavity. The exceptions are that mine is a Legacy Standard (bolt-on) with a solid curly maple body. That said...

I have my midrange set at a little less than center -- my preference. Since the Bartolini soapbars have that midrange bark to them, I don't think I need to crank this too much.

For a great slap tone, I pan SLIGHTLY toward the neck pickup, then maybe boost the bass a bit. You can also dip the mids on your amp/at the board for more of an eclectic slap sound.

For a classic P-bass sound, pan all the way favoring the neck pickup and pluck right on top of the neck pickup. If you want, turn the mids up slightly on your amp/at the board to exaggerate the vintage vibe. You may also want to roll of the treble if you have bright strings and it's sounding too modern.

I love to solo on the Zon because it just cuts through like crazy. Pan about 70% or more to your bridge pickup, turn up the treble about 15% and pluck right over the bridge pickup. I get a great Pattitucci sound out of it in the upper range. Center out the treble and you get a good punchy Jaco sound in the lower register fingering your left hand close to the nut.

The big challenge for YOUR beautiful instrument is simply rocking out! With the combination of woods you have, it may be hard to simply sound like an old 12 pound alder P-bass. fgenus makes a great suggestion in getting some vintage axes too.

Hope this dissertation helps.

5. Thanks for your advice. Dreamwave Recording Studio is owned and operated by my brother and myself. We offer a full range of production capabilities. Like I said, the bass is also for my own head and I have enough friends with good vintage gear to have a well rounded arsenal. We're also about 10 minutes from SUNY Fredonia here in southwestern New York. The university has a great music college so the possibilities are endless. I'll post the webpage when its done. Thanks again! Dreamwave

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a Sonus Custom fretless 5. It also has the Polyfusion electronics, with the addition of the optional piezo bridge pickup. And I have a redwood burl top as well. The only real difference between your bass and mine is that mine has a swamp ash body, and a bolt on neck instead of the set neck construction that yours has.

I have been very pleased with my Zon. I can get a very wide range of fretless tones from P bass to woody Jazz and Jaco bridge soloed Jazz, and everything in between. With the piezo and neck pickups blended and the treble rolled off, I can also get a very convincing upright sound. About the only fretless tone that I can't get is the Pedulla Buzz bridge pickup soloed tone.

Here is a picture of my top. I would like to see a picture of yours too, because I have never seen another redwood burl Zon before.:cool:

[​IMG]

7. OK here an unfinished pic. I don't have the means to take a digital one. Joe Zon sent this during consruction.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The pic didn't show up.

9. Sorry. None of the pics are small enough. Some day though. Besides, looks aren't everything....Well sometimes!!!

10. I play everything from gritty lo-fi Punk to staccato double stop jazz with my Legacy Elite 5. Mine has a Myrtlewood top but my next Zon will have either Mangowood or Redwood Burl for a top. Great tonal qualities in those woods... I have yet to see a mediocre wood on a Zon.
    When rolled all the way to bridge on my Legacy I can get a great farfisa-type organ tone from it. I string it with Rotosound swingbass. It is my baby! :D

~Ad