Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

zon lightwave "roland ready" in progress

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikestack, Dec 7, 2002.

1. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    Hi there folks...

This is my first post after ages of lurking around here. For quite some time now, Zon Guitars has been building for me a Zon Sonus Lightwave fretted 5 string with internal electronics for 13-pin output, per Roland standard.

While the bass is not QUITE done yet (it's close, some little electronics work is all that's left), Joe was kind enough to send me some in progress pics.

I know *I* like it when people post in progress stuff, so first here's the koa top before it had been attached to the back and cut and all that good stuff. Note some miscoloration was due to picture, not the wood.

2. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    The body in primer, but not finished...

3. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    The back and cut control cavity-- file name should give away some details about the stage the instrument is in.

4. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    The top, I think fully finished awaiting final sanding.

5. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    And last but not least, the matching headstock laminate...

6. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Looking nice indeed :)

7. [​IMG]

That's one sweet looking top.

8. It's looking great - thatnks for posting the pics of the progress. I really enjoy seeing the construction.

I think a Zon Lightwave with the ability to connect to a V-Bass culd be the best of all worlds. The only nit I have with mine is that while I think the sound it has is beautiful, sometimes I want a more traditional tone, that I find impossible to achieve. You will be able to dial in anything you want.

Humm... I wonder if Joe can retrofit???

Keep the pics coming and let us know what you think whenit's complete.

Oh, and welcome to TalkBass!

Jeff

9. looks like it will be a beauty.
    Did you already get your Vbass? or are you gonna drive an axon unit w/ the 13pin out?

I believe fhodshon has a similar lightwave to 13pin setup on his bass. Are they splicing the Gk-2 onto the lightwave outputs?

This will be a nice christmas present
    frank

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Looking good!
    Those lightwave routes almost make for a semi-hollow, eh?

Going to be a nice clean top. LW setups really show off a top. Lot's of real-estate to be seen.

11. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    Hmmm.. can't figure out how to quote someone yet with this system, so I'll just rely on everyone being able to scroll up to see what I said to them . :)

Thanks for the compliments everyone, BTW.

Jeff, I really fell in love with the LW sound when I first heard it, but I was pursuing the VBass option as a chance to be able to replicate nearly anything. if the tracking on the LW is as good as everyone indicates, it should be killer.

I'm not certain yet about retrofits, you'd probably have to ask Joe about that. I think the cavity is actually ok, but if you want the full suite of controls that 13-pin supports, there'll have be some holes drilled. I know I've got a synth/blend/analog switch, a step-up/step-down switch (similar to the pushbuttons usually used...), and a synth volume knob in addition to the LW stuff.

The other issue is that AFAIK, all LW "MIDI" boards are hand-made, not PCBs, so I don't know how willing Joe or LW would be willing to retrofit.

FCM3, I haven't picked up a VBass yet, I've played one extensively and was rather sold on them. Mind you, the six-string side of my brain has been using a VG-88 for the past couple years, so it only makes sense. Shopping around for prices now...

There will not be a GK-2 spliced into the LW outputs. It's all internal with the 13-pin jack actually in the bass body.

It was actually Fred Hodshon's LW/GK-2 hybrid that made me wonder if they'd be willing to do retrofits.

For anyone wondering how far along this is, Joe Z. did most of the electronics surgery about a week ago and is waiting on a board from LW to complete the work. I'm hoping to see it sometime around my birthday (the 16th, in case anyone wants to buy me a V-BASS:D).

12. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    hey mike!

congrats on the Zon.

joe's a great guy to work with.

yes, the Roland LW mod is just a breadboard at this time.

i doubt Joe would be doing the retrofit.

you may have to wait until after NAMM 2003. everyone is scrambling to beef up for the show.

PM me if you have any questions about the LW mod.

f

13. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    by the way, the current Roland LW mod requires the GK2B pickup.

you could buy that ahead of getting the actual VBass in order to have the mod done.

FYI: Rik's Music has THE BEST prices on Roland gear!!!

www.riksmusic.com

ask for Erik and tell 'im fred sent ya!

f

14. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    Fred,

The Zon I'm having built is going to have 13-pin output and controls on-board.

Joe is doing the actual installation of the electronics and testing of the 13-pin output/controls.

15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey, Fred,

I know Roland has just released the bass version of this:
    [​IMG]

So, it sounds like that is what he is planning on using to keep from having to use the GK-2B Module.

The bass looks great, Mike! A Zon Lightwave is the only other bas I've considered other than a Curbow since Joe started putting the satin finish on the back of the necks. I've got a 6 string fretless Curbow in the works that will be Roland compatible with a Lightwave, too. But, mine isn't going to be done until probably May '03.

You'll love the VBass when you get it. I can't say enough good things about mine. It sounds great with my US Curbow 5 with GK-2B--I can't wait to hear it with a fretless set up with the Lightwaves.

Be sure to post more pics when you get 'em.

16. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

i stand corrected.

that's what i get for living in 3D CAD hell for the last several weeks.

looks great!

f

17. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    Hey guys,

Been a long time since I've updated on this one... Joe Z. is still working this, but it should be done soon. Anticipation is killing me! :) Joe said he's gotten everything hooked together and all the bass fully functional except for the 13-pin stuff, which he has yet to test. He did say it sounded great, however, which is always good news. :D

Anyway, here's a pic of the not quite completely populated electronics cavity, though I'm not sure what's left to go in there. It's quite.. busy.

18. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    here's my guess:

[​IMG]

f