Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon Lightwave series 1 vs. series 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stachio, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Allright I guess this is part 2 to that last thread:D

I just talked to Joe and he mentioned that he actually prefered the series 1 Lightwave. Apparently, the electronics are the same but there were some modifications to the bridge.

Do any of you TB'ers with Lightwave's (Jeff, Fred ?)have the series 1 or have been able to compare between the 2.

2. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    ^BUMP^

3. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Hello everyone, I just discovered this forum and planned on simply lurking indefinitely, but I saw this question and thought I could provide some insight. My bass teacher, Jake Kot, has worked a lot with Lightwave Systems and in fact even has his own signature Conklin bass that is available with a Lightwave setup. I have seen both the older and the newer versions of the system and can confirm that it is a difference to the bridge. The original Lightwave had an elongated ‘hood’ over the saddle that extended about two inches or so (working from memory here). This was supposed to shield the sensor from interfering light, but also moved the playing position up from the bridge by about an inch. Several players (including my teacher and Gary Willis) gave the opinion to Lightwave that they wanted to be able to play nearer to the bridge for better control and a tighter sound. Lightwave’s response to the suggestions was the modified bridge with much shorter hoods which allowed players to player in a more ‘bridge pickup’ position.

4. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Ohhh!
    Thanks Woody.

And welcome to Talkbass.

Who's your teacher by the way?

5. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    His name is Jake Kot. He's a player and teacher around the Portland, Oregon area.

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    indeed, there have been mods- the addition of a mid control and the physical difference in bridges- however- to my dissapointment- i still couldnt get that " Jaco" percussiveness even closer to the bridge, in my opinion, that sound is just not there- huge fundamentals- crystal clear lows, but no magnetic pickup type punch.. sorry- i wish it did have that, id own a lightwave if it did-

7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    odd...i think i can get that Jaco sound pretty well with my LW.

especially with my new rig.

tons of growl, lots of mids if i want...thundering lows...

and contrary to many...i can get pretty damned punchy.

when i was a guest of zon guitars at NAMM this year, Joe told me he was partial to the system one IceTone circuit.

i have a system one bridge, but the electronics were swapped out for sys 2 with the mag emulator and sweepable mid in place of the treble.

those are options, though, with system 2.

i was playing through an Eden rig previously, and at high volumes all i got was mush.

just hooked up my new system:

QSC PLX2402
    Aguilar DB659
    Bergantino HT212

oh man...its like i have a new bass!!!!!!!

i just tried the Aguilar straight into my Mackie for recording....SMOKIN!!!!!!!!

playing technique has a LOT to do with what you can get out of the lightwave system.

jaco to uprightish for me...and then some.

but, i've been playing it for nearly 2 years now, and have gotten intimate with its nuances.

playing one for a short period of time doesn't give it its due.

fred

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    points taken- i wish i has found that voice - Jim Bruce,, formerly with LW came to Vegas to show me the system- had i found that tone- wouldve gone with it- i only had the bass here four days - couldnt get that Jaco thing, though- my Fodera FRETTEDm on the other hand, NALS it-