Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon Lightwave with Roland V-Bass mod report

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Oct 26, 2002.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    hi kids,

finally felt good enough to mess with the Lightwave Roland MOD.

after some SCARY false starts...this thing SMOKES!!!!

that's what i get for being on the "bleeding edge".

being as there is no setting in the V-Bass for Lightwave/Roland pickups, i had to experiment a bit.

and the string sensitivity needs to be set fairly low to prevent overdriving certain patches.

but, i've found the perfect balance of settings and its a DREAM!

Keith at Lightwave did a fantastic job on the mod.

the only diff between this and the stock GK2B is that the normal bass output is NOT summed through the V-Bass.

this actually gives me more flexibility with signal processing routing. especially for recording.

for live, i'll be buying a Whirlwind Combiner to sum both outputs into my Aguilar pre.

pics soon.

f

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

What you mean is, Lightwave pickups finally work as converters for Vbass and synths like they said it would ?

3. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    why, yes.

that's exactly what i mean.

f

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well, that's great.
    My next custom bass will probably have Lightwave on it.
    They've been talking about the MIDI captor option for months, and nothing ever came.

Keep us informed about how it works now. MP3 maybe ?

5. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    here are some quick pix:

nice thing about this mod, it sure makes my Zon look better without that GK2B pickup taped to the front!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

f

oh, here's my new rack with my new Furman PC:

[​IMG]

V-Bass not shown.

6. That's pretty nifty... I aggree it looks allot better without the v-bass pup cluttering up the surface of the bass, that's the major issue I have with the v-bass—as superficial as it may sound. :rolleyes: I'd still like it if you could plug roland's guitar-to-midi output into a synth module. But appearently you can do that with the Roland JP-8080.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=8&subcatid=37&prodid=JP-8080

7. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    So did you always have the "version two" pickups or are those new too? And what are the differences tone wise verses the "version one" pickups that my sonus has... Just curious...

Ps LOOKS SWEET!!!

8. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    profX: i got the system 2 upgrade earlier this year.

I think there is a BIG dif between sys 1 and sys 2.

one other update:

i just found out that i can plug my Zon LW output into the BASS INPUT of the V-Bass to mix the 2.

don't need a whirlwind combiner/mixer after all.

life is SWEET!

fred

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    so Fred- im wondering why you couldnt get the sum of the two signals? looks like you stll have the unit attached to the back of the bass- which is what i do- i have no problem with that - and i can always use the little adapter cable - that cheesy little thing that connect to the bass' output- but im interested in doing this to an F bass i have coming- its such a shame to throw a black pickup on that bass with the matching pup covers- so i want to use a brigde with piezos to drive the V bass- but DONT want to use the RMC preamp- i want Georges preamp. and the problem is - im told i cant use the rmc system without going thru their pre- can anyone shed any light on this??
    HELP!!

10. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    Keith at LW Sys. didn't wire it up that way. wouldn't take much to do, but i actually prefer having the outs separate!!!! the blending is much easier to control than through the control pod.

plus, i can add different signal processing to each output.

adrian, i thought you sold your V-Bass.

?

f

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i didnt sell it- decided to keep it- the reason i like the signals blended is because i can apply the fx to the actual bass sound as well-

12. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i can STILL do this by sending the LW output into the BASS INPUT of the V-Bass.

:cool:

f

13. F:
    may I ask what your using to sum the two outputs together? (control pod)

I'm having problems w/ my Vbass in that i get no original bass signal thru the system but the Vbass signal comes thru. My solution right now is to use 2 outputs (bass alone/GK alone) and mix them before my amp. I don't know which way is the better way
    thanks
    frank

14. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    you may want to check the MIXER section of each patch.

many of the stock patches come programmed with the signal 100% VBass and 0% normal bass.

select a patch, click bass, page over to the mixer page, and data jog the mixer setting to about 50%.

then make sure your control pod pickup selector switch is set in the middle.

let me know if that helps.

fred

15. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    oh, to mix my signals...

live: a whirlwind combiner

studio: just 2 sep channels of my Yamaha AW16G HD recorder.

or, as i just told adrian, you can send the bass output to the bass input on the back of the VBass.

f

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    yes- to answer the question- exactly what fred said- the mix in each patch has to be edited ( a pain) but its worth it-
    Fred- i wasnt aware that botht the 1/4 input and the gk input wrk simultaneously- i though they cancelled out- at least it says so in the manual

17. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i called roland on this.

they said it would work, i wanted to make sure i wasn't damaging anything.

they said it was fine.

and sure enuf, it worked.

i don't normally route this way...but, in a pinch!

f