Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon-on-a-Gig...Have Mercy!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Mar 22, 2003.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Finally took the opportunity last night to gig with the ’95 Zon Legacy Standard 6 pictured below. As some of you may recall, I traded an ’00 Musicman Stingray 5 and a little cash for the Zon (thanks, cheezewiz!). The Zon had a few minor setup issues (i.e., missing screw on the control cover and a bad bridge saddle on the “C” string) that I wanted to fix before I gigged it. Thanks to Joe Zon sending me some screws in the mail and Pete Hanewinckel giving me a Wilkenson saddle (very cool), I had it ready to go last night.

The room has been described here before: North Bar in Escondido, CA. Low ceiling, carpet, pool tables, etc. We’re set up in the corner on the other side of the room from the bar. Not a bad sounding room, really. Medium/Small. My classic rock trio, The Lost Patrol. We’re moderately loud in that room, I’d say.

I ran though my Epifani T-212 set up vertically with a Crown CE2000 mono-bridged into 4 ohms. Preamp was the Big Fatty, the Kern 777. (There’s a reason why this pre is in such demand and so rarely turns up for sale used. Mercy. Killin’ tone. Sweet, fat, open and rich.)

I’m intentionally trying to exercise restraint here and not just rave away about this bass. To call it “punchy” would be accurate but sort of an understatement! It’s almost insanely punchy, in fact. And a top-end that is every bit the equal of my Modulus Quantum 6. That means the absolute best. Slapping cuts through like a surgeon’s blade. But it sounds quite different than the Modulus, in fact. The Mod has great clarity but its low end is nothing like this Zon. Whew! This thing is a beast, basically. Deep, rich (I’m tempted to call it “thick”) low register, strong, punchy mids and the top-end referred to above. Playability is very good, too. The neck is flatter than the Mod but similar in width and feel. The bass is balanced and medium-weight, didn’t bother me at all through 4 sets. I used a wide leather strap and Schallers. I had a new set of D’Addario Prisms on the bass, too.

This bass strikes me as the perfect antidote for those who complain that Modulus instruments sound “sterile” (I don’t think so, myself) and that graphite necks aren’t as “warm” as wooden necks. I have a hard time imagining how this Zon could sound any better! Man, I guess I’m calling it perfect. Not really. I could pick nits about the body contour under the right arm not being quite as comfortable as it could be. And some players really won’t want this kind of “bionic” sound; some will prefer a more restrained, woody tone. But all things considered…the Modulus just dropped a notch in my arsenal. Great Zon-A-Mighty!

[​IMG]

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If I had to choose which basses I own or have owned are as close to perfect as I've seen, the Legacy Standard would be very high on the list. Amazing sound and playability... I wouldn't change a thing.

Congrats, bb... can't say I'm surprised;)

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, it's really hard to find fault with this bass, Brad! I can certainly see why you hold yours in such high regard. :cool:

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Cool Boogie! Glad you are digging the bass!

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Great description of the sound, too. The punch is probably my favorite thing, it really hits you hard.

I guess that's why they call it "punch";)

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks again, bro!

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    One of the real advantages to this kind of mid-range punch is that it can directly influence your groove playing. I find that it lets me lock with the kick drum for syncopated precision that translates into one thing for the crowd: "Hey, this is a pretty good band!"

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Gotta love them Zons, hm? :D

The Sonus' are just like the Legacy Standards, punchy & warm, but still cuts through a mix like a red hot machete through melted butter.

Plus, Joe's just a cool guy.

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    someday id like to own a Zon- i have said it before, but Trip Wamsley's sound with a Zon is one of the best sounds Ive ever heard coming from a bass

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yeah, but Trip's tone is killer if you hand him a beat-to-crap Sears Silvertone...

:eek:

;)

...the Zon don't hurt though, almost makes my ham-fisted playing sound passable.

:p

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Carl's bass looks like a 6 string version of mine... two piece solid Maple body, Barts with the ZP preamp. The Maple bolt-ons just have something IMO that I didn't quite hear with the rest of the line (or any other composite necked basses). I even prefer them over the Legacy Elites. That's just me, of course.

It's a combination of warmth, clarity and power that just makes me smile every single time I pick it up.

:bassist:

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yep...i can't say i'm surprised either...i LOVE my zon...it just rawks! heheh awesome bass...here's one of me and my sonus (thanks daichi! this thing kills!):

[​IMG]

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup, that pretty much sums it for me regarding this one, too.

14. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Ill get in on the Zon lovin... They kick...

[​IMG]

15. I've only had the opportunity to play one Zon. It was a fretted Sonus four string. My impression was that it didn't have a lot of low end at all. However, it had the most amzing clarity I've ever heard. The sound was just totally clean and the high end was very seewt sounding; not obnoxious at all. It wasn't really "my" sound at all. However, it did the bright hi-fi thing so well, (and was so easy to play) that it was hard to not like it.

Does anyone agree with me that Zons don't have a whole lot of low end? That doesn't seem to be the case with Boogiebass's bass. Maybe the Legacy has a thicker low end than the Sonus.

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, mine's got bottom out the yin yang...i think it might have to do with the amp it's going through

17. I agree with this statement, but I don't think it necessarily has that much to do with the amp. I've got the same bass as neptoon here, only it's fretless. All of the Zons I've heard tend to have some pretty thick bottom-end.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've got a Sonus Custom fretless 5, and it has a ton of bottom. I couldn't imagine a bass having more bottom than my Zon.

19. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    crap. now i want one too.

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Jacob, there are all kinds of things that could factor into your experience. Amp settings, string choice, EQ settings...

My Standard fretless 5 pumps.