1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

zon owners : sonus classic - any experience/advice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sifi76, Dec 26, 2011.

1. sifi76

sifi76

Mar 14, 2007
    New Zealand
    Hey all. I'm looking to trade up for a new bass and I have a hankering for some graphite goodness so I've been looking at either a zon sonus classic 4 or a modulus vj, but my thoughts are I'm going to go for the sonus (more frets, satin neck, contoured body.. all win/wins in my book) but I need some more advice as to what they sound like.. and yeah I know the pg looks ugly (actually it's not that bad reminds me a bit of an old ebmm sabre hehe)

I've had a listen to some zon stuff on youtube etc including all of stu clayton's stuff (that tone on shape of my heart solo is fantastic) but need to know how similar the classic is to a sonus 4 tonally. And yes I am aware that's opening up a duncan/zon customs vs bart/zon customs debate lol.

any help here would be great. thanks.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Go for the Zon, they are great basses (bass', basss, baysez :D)

Let the debate begin:

Having owned Zons with both Bartolinis and Seymour Duncan, all I can say is that I prefer.............. :bag:

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I have custom fretless Zon, I went with Custom pups (Barts) in the "Special" position. I love the sound of the Customs, but the pup placement in the Special is perfect to my ear for fretless.
    I'd go Zon, and I'd say you'd be a happy camper to go with the Custom.
    Recent video FolkInAMusic's Channel - YouTube

4. sifi76

sifi76

Mar 14, 2007
    New Zealand
    hehe, yeah can't blame you hiding. The thing is I'm looking at it mostly for 'alt rock' purposes cause of my band, but also a few others such as funk etc, so for me it's gotta have nice velvety lows with a bit of bark/spank in the treble, not too worried bout the mids cause I have a genz that can fill that in. Having owned a spector euro I'm sort of used to that 2eq 'sound' anyway but at the same time I'm getting more into the prescence, and articulate response + sustain that you can get from a graphite, esp on harmonics. My main concern is that the duncan's might sound a little too 'cheap', although I'm probably being unfair comparing them with standard dunc soaps as these are supposed to be customs.. but yeah, how did yer duncan pup'd zon sound? clear? responsive? ballsy? ya get the picture hehe

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    sifi76, PM sent!

6. rulyongo

rulyongo

May 5, 2011
    Carolina, PR
    Kesslari, love the tone on the video!

Sifi76, I have only tried the Sonus with bartolinis but it is an amazing bass, specially for rock, very punchy and very warm sounding...