Zon question: Bart or Polyfusion Preamp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MaHei, Feb 28, 2003.

1. MaHei

Dec 24, 2002
    I have seen that some of you Zon owners (Custom, Special, Legacy models) have Bartolini Preamps instead of the standard Polyfusion ZP-2.

Why did you go with the bart? And which Bart preamp is it?

Or, same question, different approach: What didn't you like about the Polyfusion preamp?

(All Zonners: Are you happy with your Polyfusion pre?)

Thanks for your input!
  2. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    mine came with them.... i really like it cuz it has a 3 band instead of 2band (ZP)

Zon Polyfusion preamps usually comes in Zon Sonus Customs and Legacy Elites only..

JRBrown bought a Zon Sonus Special 4 awhile back and his had a ZP and he didn't like it.. then again, when i got a Zon Sonus Special 5 from stroy, it had Aero pickups and i hated them..

different strokes for diff folks?

3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I really liked the polyfusion in my Legacy, and I think Boogiebass is equally as happy with it. As far as Mr. Brown's, his was not a stock polyfusion preamp. Joe Zon himself said that right on these forums.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My Polyfusion in my Legacy Standard is three band and works perfectly for me.

I have Bartolini in the majority of my other basses.
  5. My Legacy Standard has the Polyfusion as well. It has the mid pot in the control cavity, so I guess you better like what you got, because adjustments to the mid won't be fast and easy!!

I find that the Polyfusion has a "crisper" sound than the Bart. It reminds me of Aero pickups -- very clean and modern sounding. The Bart preamp sounds like it has more "bark" in the sound, like it should be mated with a MusicMan pickup.
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Polyfusion=tasty. Seems to be the perfect match with the Legacy Standard I recently obtained from Cheezewiz. Won't get to gig with it until the 21st (too many other new basses in front of it!) but initial impressions are very positive.