Zon Sonus 4/2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Circus, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Hey, I just saw this bass on musiciansfriend, although they are out of stock, do you think this bass is well worth it? I have previously been looking at lakland, dingwall, spector, and modulus. What do you think of the sonus 4/2? I really like booming low bass tone, like what flea has in his songs where he doesn't do anything fancy, just gets really melodic and plays something that sounds good. Like in Under the Bridge and in The Zephy Song.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have never had the pleasure of playing a 4/2. But according to the website, the neck pickup is designed to emulate a P bass, and the bridge pickup is a normal bridge humbucker configuration, like a MusicMan or a G&L. So the bass should be capable of a decent quasi P tone, as well as some nasty growly bridge tones, and combinations thereof.

I would love to try out a 5/2.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Too bad we don't live close by, Jeff. You'd be welcome to check mine out.

Your description is pretty accurate, though. Neck pickup is nice and punchy while the bridge is throaty and growly. Great neck profile too.

Just one thing to consider: the 5/2 has a 35" scale and 22 frets.
  4. embellisher

The 35" scale and 19mm spacing are the main reasons I want to try one. The 22 fret thing is a bonus. I like the sound of slapping at 22 better than 24, but prefer to slap at the end of the fingerboard instead of over the fingerboard. I rarely go above the 20th fret, and I don't think that I have ever gone above 22. I do have one part on an original song that goes up to 22 on the G string.
  5. Discalmer: I own a Sonus 4/2

That having been said, I think they are great basses. If you can get one used at a good price they are one of the best deals out there. Heck, I got mine new at GC and got a great deal so...

In closing, They're Grrrreat!
  6. Deep

May 8, 2002
    I'm almost positive the 5/2 has 17mm spacing, like the other Zon 5 strings. Except the 519 and the Studio which both have 19mm spacing.
  7. embellisher

Yeah, I just noticed that it doesn't list the string spacing for it on the website. I guess it is 17mm.:(
  8. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I think (not certain) that with the Zon, if it's 35", it's 19mm. I don't think he would go to the trouble of having both 17mm and 19mm 35" scale necks made. There was a nice used looking 5/1 at Bass NW a while ago going for really cheap. I was very tempted to pick it up. You know what I would like to see, a 35" 19mm Sonus 6, any model. A 619 perhaps????