SOLD ZON Sonus 5 neck custom built by Greg Curbow

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by DannyS55, Aug 5, 2016.

1. DannyS55

DannyS55

Feb 23, 2016
    Price:
    Up for sale is my one of a kind wooden ZON Sonus 5 neck custom built by the late Greg Curbow back around 2003. I have had this neck on my 1997 Sonus 5 for many years but I've sold the body so I no longer need the neck. Greg master built this using his laminate technique that he was so well known for. It's maple with a rosewood strip down the middle, satin finish, 2 graphite reinforcement rods and standard truss rod(never had to make any adjustments the entire time i've owned it, it's rock solid), has an ebony cap with pearl inlay on the headstock, the headstock has a "banjo" cut profile, 24 frets, ZON Gotoh GB7 tuners and the icing on the cake is the Brazilian rosewood fingerboard! It also has a solid brass tone block in the heel that Greg signed. This is an absolutely gorgeous neck both in looks and tones! The only blemish is on the back of the headstock where the tiny screw that held the B string tuner in place broke so I had to drill it out and put a dowel and new screw in. The repair is purely cosmetic and does not affect tone or playability whatsoever. As I stated, this neck was on my 1997 Sonus 5. At some point Joe Zon changed the design of the heel pocket slightly so I'm not sure if this will fit a newer Sonus, but definitely the old ones. It is an exact dimensional copy of the ZON graphite necks. I've loved this neck and have babied it. There is not a scratch on it (except the repair on the back of the headstock)

Greg did a beautiful job on this neck!
    I'm asking $1000 firm
    Buyer assumes shipping

IMG_9052.JPG IMG_9053.JPG IMG_9054.JPG IMG_9056.JPG IMG_9057.JPG IMG_9058.JPG IMG_9055.JPG

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    steelbed45 and Maiden Bass like this.
  2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Palm Bay, FL
    all I can say about that is damn

3. eulogy77

eulogy77

May 14, 2008
    I own a Greg Curbow bass, his work was unmatched, I bet this neck is amazing, I wish I could buy it just for collecting purpose, as a 35 is to long for me, glwts

4. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    I had several custom made Curbows made by Greg. He was a very great person and a true genius when it comes to basses.

songwriter21 likes this.
  5. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    That's quite the rare bird! The quartersawn patterns remind me of a hardwood floor on a yacht. drool

6. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    That pic on the wall makes it look like modern art!

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Killer neck from a killer builder, being sold by a killer bassist. Remember seeing you play two hand tapping on that neck with Gunnison.

8. DannyS55

DannyS55

Feb 23, 2016
    Yeah man, I've loved this neck, but it's time for someone else to enjoy it...

j-raj likes this.
  9. antontanzil

antontanzil

Jun 5, 2008
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    MTD Bass (USA & Kingston) & Strings, R.Cocco Strings, Gruvgear, Noll Preamp, Nordstrands
    Nut width?

10. DannyS55

DannyS55

Feb 23, 2016
    The nut width is 1.875"

11. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

pm'd

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021