Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon Sonus 5 Special question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, May 1, 2005.

1. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i was wondering, i might be making a trade for a Zon Sonus 5 Special and was wondering how much they go for used. he said it was made in 1998 and comes with a case. im thinking of trading my Spector ns4 USA custom 4 for it. What do you guys think???

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    tAKE this with a grain of salt cause I don't always know what I'm taLKING about but it sounds good to me!

3. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
  4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, the Special is a weird bass in terms of resale. The fretteds don't seem to do too well, but the fretless Specials seem to do better for whatever reason. Most of the Specials seem to sell for $1250-$1600 range with the fretless models on the upper end of that pricing range. Also, the older Zons pre 2000 seem to do a little worse. I'm not sure why, but it may have to do with the neck design being slightly different. The older models didn't have the satin finish and the relief according to Joe was a bit more on the older necks as well. I'm not sure if this confuses matters more or not, but it gives you some idea of the demand on a Special.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree with Halftooth about the fretted vs. fretless pricing. I have seen a Special fretted go as low as $1200, and a Special fretless go as high as $2000. All fretless Zon models seem to hold their resale better than the fretted equivalents.

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I guess I'm not the only one that likes fretless zons better than the fretted ones.

7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Yep, you're right on the relief differences on the necks...I think it was quite a while back that there was more relief in the necks. I think I confused the finishing differnces with the relief difference. The satin finish I belief took place right around 2000 or so. I know for a fact that in 98, joe was doing a gloss neck because I played on that had it.